XPEnology Community

=trigger device plug event= then shutdown when update to 5.1

68rustang

I am trying to update from 5.0 to 5.1 and having a problem. This has been mentioned in the big 5.1 thread by a few of us but doesn't seem to be getting any attention.

I am able to boot from my Xpenoboot USB drive and choose update. It finishes booting and I am able to find the NAS with Synology Assistant and choose and install the 5022.1.pat file. The NAS reboots again and the trouble starts. The NAS shows up as "Starting Services" in Synology Assistant but then eventually disappears. If I hook a monitor up to it and watch the boot process it hangs for a short while at "====trigger device plug event====" then a few minutes later followed by "Diskstation>" like normal. After a few minutes a message about shutting down pops up and the NAS powers off.

For the time being I have reverted back to 5.0 and everything is back to working. I have one drive connected to a PCIe SATA card but it is not the boot drive.

Any ideas?

MB is ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM R2.0 LGA and worked great with Gnoboot and Nanoboot before this. I removed my SATA card tried again and the same thing happens. I booted Xpenoboot into debug mode and saw lots of "stuff" but nothing that screamed what was causing it to shut down.

Anyone? Even a nudge in the right troubleshooting direction? I am not sure the "trigger device plug event" is an error but in normal boot mode it is the last thing shown before the NAS powers off.

This has been mentioned over in the russian section as well.

Got it. Turns out the Trigger message is normal. Since I wasn't getting any feedback here and didn't know any better way I went into the BIOS and started disabling all all of the unnecessary items and rebboting after each one. After disabling the onboard serial and printer ports all is good with 5.1.

I am trying to update from 5.0 to 5.1 and having a problem. This has been mentioned in the big 5.1 thread by a few of us but doesn't seem to be getting any attention.

I am able to boot from my Xpenoboot USB drive and choose update. It finishes booting and I am able to find the NAS with Synology Assistant and choose and install the 5022.1.pat file. The NAS reboots again and the trouble starts. The NAS shows up as "Starting Services" in Synology Assistant but then eventually disappears. If I hook a monitor up to it and watch the boot process it hangs for a short while at "====trigger device plug event====" then a few minutes later followed by "Diskstation>" like normal. After a few minutes a message about shutting down pops up and the NAS powers off.

For the time being I have reverted back to 5.0 and everything is back to working. I have one drive connected to a PCIe SATA card but it is not the boot drive.

Any ideas?

MB is ASUS P8H61-M LE/CSM R2.0 LGA and worked great with Gnoboot and Nanoboot before this. I removed my SATA card tried again and the same thing happens. I booted Xpenoboot into debug mode and saw lots of "stuff" but nothing that screamed what was causing it to shut down.

Only saw this. Having similar issue on a test system and it is making me rethink updating other DSMs. Will test your suggestions and see. Thanks!

Hi Jon_Co,

I own the same motherboard ASRock C2550D4I but I'm still stuck at =trigger device plug event=

My bios is in version 2.15.1236.

You mentionned 3 serial ports.

I could only disable 2 in the bios :

- Advanced > Super IO Configuration > Serial Port 1 Configuration > Serial Port (Disabled)

- Advanced > Super IO Configuration > SOL Configuration > Serial port (Disabled)

And only 1 console redirection :

-Advanced > Serial Port Console Redirection > Console Redirection (Disabled)

The 2 other Console redirection (COM1 and SOL) are grey "Disabled" and I cannot enable nor disable them "Port is Disabled".

Could you tell me where the 3rd serial port that you disabled is. And any other changes that you may have made.

Thank you.

Hi Jon_Co,

I own the same motherboard ASRock C2550D4I but I'm still stuck at =trigger device plug event=

My bios is in version 2.15.1236.

You mentionned 3 serial ports.

I could only disable 2 in the bios :

- Advanced > Super IO Configuration > Serial Port 1 Configuration > Serial Port (Disabled)

- Advanced > Super IO Configuration > SOL Configuration > Serial port (Disabled)

And only 1 console redirection :

-Advanced > Serial Port Console Redirection > Console Redirection (Disabled)

The 2 other Console redirection (COM1 and SOL) are grey "Disabled" and I cannot enable nor disable them "Port is Disabled".

Could you tell me where the 3rd serial port that you disabled is. And any other changes that you may have made.

Thank you.

Hi iLc

I must have mixed up the ports and console redirection. From what I can remember I only did what you described above. It would still go to the =trigger device plug event= but this time it didn't lock up and a few seconds later the diskstation login prompt appeared. I will check again when I get back home and update this if I find anything different.

I just got back and re-enabled the serial ports, the default port redirection settings, and it still worked. Whatever it was, it had nothing to do with the serial ports.

After restoring all the bios to UEFI defaults, I am again able to reproduce the problem: last line showing on terminal is =trigger device plug event=. Then it locks up. I then went through all the bios settings that I changed before. The one that made is:

Intel RC Setup -> South Bridge Chipset Configuration -> SATA Configuration -> SATA Mode Selection = IDE

This means you won't be able to use the 4 SATA II ports, but you can use the 8 SATA III ports. That's the answer for Asrock C2550D4I/C2750D4I users.

Sorry for hijacking your thread, thanks heaps to 68rustang for pointing me in the right direction, without which I wouldn't even have thought to go around mucking around with the bios settings.

After restoring all the bios to UEFI defaults, I am again able to reproduce the problem: last line showing on terminal is =trigger device plug event=. Then it locks up. I then went through all the bios settings that I changed before. The one that made is:

Intel RC Setup -> South Bridge Chipset Configuration -> SATA Configuration -> SATA Mode Selection = IDE

This means you won't be able to use the 4 SATA II ports, but you can use the 8 SATA III ports. That's the answer for Asrock C2550D4I/C2750D4I users.

Thanks for figuring out a work around. I changed the SATA Mode Selection to IDE on my c2750d4i and was able to boot into 5.1.

Unfortunately, i have 4 of my drives on the sata2 ports with custom length SATA cables so switching those to the sata3 ports will be a big PITA. The other option on the mode selection is AHCI so it might be some issue with the intel AHCI drivers but I'm not sure how to resolve that.

I guess I'll have to back to DSM 5.0 until someone has another workaround or I get some new thin SATA cables.

What if the motherbord doesnt have ahci.ide options?

Why is ahci an issues in the first place?

I have a system I can;t upgrade because of this.

I have a feeling the real problem may not be related directly to AHCI. It may have to do more with how it maps internal, eSATA, and USB (something in the synoinfo.conf). If I have time I'll try some other combination and post my findings here.

• 2 weeks later...

if I put in IDE mode, my 6TB and 8TB drive will work?

IDE mode is slower than AHCI mode?, change the mode require drive format?

The Serial port you are explaining, finally don't have any effect?

Thanks, I'm having the same problem.

For now I run 5.0 perfect on c2550d4i

I have a Supermicro H8DME-2, which has a fairly old nVidia chipset.

Connecting drives onto any of the onboard nForce SATA, I get the dreaded hang on "trigger device plug event".

Then I tried Supermicro AOC-SAT2-VM8 PCI-X 8 port SATA card based on Marvell chipset.

Connecting any drives on this SATA card, I also get the hang.

Finally, I tried my trusty LSI 9211-8i PCIe 8 port SAS card and it worked right away.

Also, there is no menu for me to configure the nForce or Marvell card to select IDE or SATA or AHCI. I think they're just too old.

Similar to what others have mentioned, there is definitely something different in respect to SATA controller compatibility with XPEnoboot/DSM5.1. Both the onboard nForce SATA and Marvell PCI-X SATA works just fine with Nanoboot/DSM5.0.

Hopefully this can get resolved soon.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

hm, i tried everything i could think of but with as bare a bios as i could find, it will not get past the "trigger device plug event" error :sad:

i dont mind getting my hands dirty but i dont know how to troubleshoot this. just randomly trying to change settings is not the best way to go about this in my experience.

is there a setting i can use at boot time to get more logging? current logs show nothing, even after leaving the system hanging there a whole night. what does this error mean, is it the kernel loading drivers for something?

• 2 months later...

I have the asrock c2750d4i and I've disable both marvell controller at the moment and it's working. I'm hoping they will get this working properly soon so that I can re-enable the controllers. Hope the dev is looking into this.

I have a asrock c2750d4i running DSM 5.2-5565 working fine (with both marvell controller disable). Since my disk is empty at the moment, just for the fun of it, I updated to DSM 5.2-5565 Update 2 ,and it hangs at the the same error message " =trigger device plug event" . So MAYBE these bugs are by Synology deliberately.