XPEnology Community

10GbE card and switch recommendation?

icanic

Greetings!

Can someone recommend cheap 10GbE pcie card and switch for home use? Card must be compatible with xpenology.

Or to simply use bond with 2x1GbE cards?

I dont need speeds above 200mb/s.

I am trying to get my normal HDDs from PC and put them in NAS and use them like local HDD's so I can run my games and other stuff directly from NAS.

Thank you!

inexpensive switch is mikrotik

http://routerboard.com/CRS226-24G-2SplusIN

only big problem for me with this switch is it does NOT support LACP dynamic LAG

I have Broadcom 10Gig Cards, and dispite efforts from folks like sancome, they do NOT work in xpenology. I tried an older intel card and it worked fine (sorry but I didnt record the part number)

bonding in xpenology works, but by design is hardly helpful. VERY rarely do you see more that 1 GBE of traffic at a time. the requirements to acheive it are simply not easy to acheive , especially in the home.

10GiG E provides instant EASY to take advantage of benefits.

Ok, then the best is to buy 2x 10GbE NIC and maybe diy mikrotik PC :smile: just for switching.

I dont wanna leave HDD in PC because it is noisy, I have wd black and it is heating all other components in PC, but the main reson is that I dont wanna noisy HDD in PC.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i don't know how you're defining expensive, but currently the prices are moving downwards...

for me i got my NICs at ebay for ~ 100€ each, then 50€ for 2 DAC cables and ~ 220 € for the 10G capable switch

so all in all i paid ~ 500€ for my 10G Network which i don't wanna miss anymore... currently my "bottleneck" is my main workstation as the PCIE interface (for the 10G NIC) there is the limitting factor..but it's great when you push file FROM/TO the client to the xpenology system and have transfer rates ~400MByte/sec (4 drive SHR1 volume connected to an LSI HBA) :smile:

so my recommendation would to think of if you could make use of the speed now..or in near future and then make a decision...

p.s. i'm currently planning to expand my network and to setup a new xpenology just for backup, as my original DS-1812+ is now way too slow for me with only ~110MByte/sec transfer rate

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Greetings!

Can someone recommend cheap 10GbE pcie card and switch for home use? Card must be compatible with xpenology.

Or to simply use bond with 2x1GbE cards?

I dont need speeds above 200mb/s.

I am trying to get my normal HDDs from PC and put them in NAS and use them like local HDD's so I can run my games and other stuff directly from NAS.

Thank you!

Your lacking some info.

Your Games n Stuff PC......what OS is that running?

It's easy enough to get decent speeds from Xpenology's networking.

If your OS for games n stuff is Linux / BSD / Unix etc then bonding multiple cards can be the cheapest way to go (no switch needed if direct connecting)

else cheapest is to grab some old 10Gb Fibre cards, and a length of fibre cable should see you getting an easy 9.90 Gbits/sec

Way more than a bunch of HDD's raided together will give you.

Emulex 10GbE Virtual Fabric Adapters work perfectly, and can be found cheap on eBay... if your lucky they will come with transceivers.

Then all you need is a cheap LC to LC 50/125 cable to connect them together

if you need more speed, buy dual port cards and then bond both of those ports together :lol:

quick guide on how to bond gigabit cards here

http://xpenology.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2476