XPEnology Community

Cannot create Virtual Machines, v1.03b ds3617xs

hellbound

Just updated from 1.02b to 1.03b with new hardware, AMD Ryzen 2600 w/ 16GB RAM and DSM 6.2.3 (DS3617xs). Wanted to try out the Virtual Machine Manager, but each time I try to start a newly created VM it just tells me it cannot power on the virtual machine, same error in log. Tried setting RAM to from 128MB to 2GB, same result. Also Cluster is reservering almost 13.5GB of RAM. Tried going to DS918+ v1.04b (6.2.2) but same issue there, and also on DS3615xs v1.03b (6.2.3). Any ideas? I enabled virtualization (SVM) in BIOS. Also tried removing VMM and installing it again to no avail.

IpZFxOP.png

After clicking ok this shows but just returns with the same error as above when clicking Apply.

yI5grvF.png

Any ideas? Very frustrating, was hoping to have a nice VM setup. 

Edited by hellbound

Hi, speaking as a fellow beginner..  I was also unable to get VMM to work on my AMD based test system, I am assuming its an issue with the build of qemu kvm used in the synology VMM application. I also installed and older version manually just in case - same result as you are getting - not able to start. I was however able to - very successfully - get the 6.0.8 build of VirtualBox that is around going very well on it.

My test system is an Old Athlon X2 based system and is running as a DS3615xs using Jun's 1.03b and DSM 6.2.3

I am also presently having different issues with VMM on my Intel based system - but they are not related to this.

I hope my 2c helps!

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, hellbound said:

@intangybles Did you get Virtualbox to run on top of DSM or did you run it on some other underlying OS? If you got Virtualbox running on DSM 6.2.3 I'd very much like to know how.
I like the SHR and HDD reports of DSM

Here you can see how install, the virtualbox  works in dsm 6.2.3

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hellbound said:

@intangybles Did you get Virtualbox to run on top of DSM or did you run it on some other underlying OS? If you got Virtualbox running on DSM 6.2.3 I'd very much like to know how.
I like the SHR and HDD reports of DSM

@hellbound yes its a fresh (baremetal) install to a G-Force chipset Athlon board of DSM 6.2.3 using Jun's 1.03b and as @jarugut said the VirtualBox build in that post works a treat, well having said that - I could not get the 6.1.4 version to install but the 6.0.8 version is working well.

** a note - make sure you set a correct path to install your VM's too as it will default to /root and that will overflow you boot USB and crash DSM!

@intangybles
I tried downloading Virtualbox 6.0.8 (seems to be for apollolake tho?) but Synology package center says it's incompatible with my running version of DSM (6.2.3). Do you happen to have the working file somewhere that you can share?

source for download: https://github.com/SysdigDan/virtualbox4dsm/releases/tag/6.0.8-130520.1-k4.4.0

Edited by hellbound

6 hours ago, intangybles said:

@hellbound yes its a fresh (baremetal) install to a G-Force chipset Athlon board of DSM 6.2.3 using Jun's 1.03b and as @jarugut said the VirtualBox build in that post works a treat, well having said that - I could not get the 6.1.4 version to install but the 6.0.8 version is working well.

** a note - make sure you set a correct path to install your VM's too as it will default to /root and that will overflow you boot USB and crash DSM!

8 hours ago, jarugut said:

Here you can see how install, the virtualbox  works in dsm 6.2.3

I tried the 6.1.4 bromolow and denverton releases (source: https://github.com/seba76/virtualbox4dsm/releases/tag/6.1.4-136177) with the same result as below. So, I have tried both 6.0.8 (bromolow & apollo lake) and 6.1.4 but cannot get any of them to install.

1dm7VSL.png

Edit: okay, got it to install with 6.0.8 broadwell, yay. Gonna try finalizing and creating a VM soon.

Edit 2: Okay, it installed fine, but I cannot seem to open Virtualbox from within DSM? And I don't have phpVirtualBox installed either, should it be? Must be missing something obvious. 

Edit 3: Okay again, thought phpVirtualBox was included in the Virtualbox package, guess it wasn't. Installed Web station and can access http://<ip>/phpvirtualbox4dsm but it gives me an error when trying to login, "PHP does not have the SOAP extension enabled" , what am I doing wrong? :(

Edited by hellbound

1 hour ago, hellbound said:

I tried the 6.1.4 bromolow and denverton releases (source: https://github.com/seba76/virtualbox4dsm/releases/tag/6.1.4-136177) with the same result as below. So, I have tried both 6.0.8 (bromolow & apollo lake) and 6.1.4 but cannot get any of them to install.

1dm7VSL.png

Edit: okay, got it to install with 6.0.8 broadwell, yay. Gonna try finalizing and creating a VM soon.

Edit 2: Okay, it installed fine, but I cannot seem to open Virtualbox from within DSM? And I don't have phpVirtualBox installed either, should it be? Must be missing something obvious. 

Edit 3: Okay again, thought phpVirtualBox was included in the Virtualbox package, guess it wasn't. But when opening http://<ip>:80/phpvirtualbox4dsm it just directs me to the normal DSM GUI https://<ip>:5001 - what am I doing wrong? :(

You should install the both packages the virtualbox and the phpvirtualbox.

There is a specific phpvirtualbox version for the  6.0.8 and other  for 6.1.4 virtualbox package.

You should install the  both packages indicating the same password to be able to allow the communication between web interface with the virtualbox itself.

Check if in the DSM packages the both  packages are running.

Edited by jarugut

1 hour ago, jarugut said:

You should install the both packages the virtualbox and the phpvirtualbox.

There is a specific phpvirtualbox version for the  6.0.8 and other  for 6.1.4 virtualbox package.

You should install the  both packages indicating the same password to be able to allow the communication between web interface with the virtualbox itself.

Check if in the DSM packages the both  packages are running.

Yeah I was able to open up phpVirtualBox, but I cannot login, getting the following error:
RWaYCkc.png

Edit: Okay, finally got it working, forgot enabling SOAP under Web Server / PHP configuration. Took some time, but thanks a lot @intangybles and jarugut. 
Now I just need to create some VMs to check out its functionality, big ups to you!

Edit2: Guess I spoke to soon, it only finds a fragment of my total RAM of 16GB, how can I free more RAM?
qN7rrEL.png
Also, is it normal not to have an IP for eth0 LAN? Is that the VM's LAN? Tried creating a VM, path /volume1/virtualbox, but it messes up the whole box and I have to do a reboot to get it working again. The IP of the created VM was 127.0.0.1, dont think there was a difference switching to Bridged mode either.

Edited by hellbound
Got it semi-working!

Hi @hellbound very pleased you worked out the PHP/VirtualBox/SOAP issues, sorry for the tardy reply! Different time zones at play! Yes, VirtualBox is installed Headless so you need an interface for it and thats the php web application.

Are you still running as a DS3617xs as that may be part of your memory issues? as @nemesis122 was saying above?

Not sure why you are getting no IP being allocated to the interface for the virtualmachines? It should have what ever ports you have installed in the DSM appearing! Have you set your mac addresses correctly on your USB's grub.cfg? Not sure what else is at play there!

shot1.thumb.png.e3ecc382ebd51364abdd49281dbf946e.png

Hi @intangybles, yes it seems like a victory indeed. No worries about time zones, I'm very grateful for any help I can get.

Yep, still on DS3617xs as it mentioned support for 16GB RAM and 16 cores(?). I will try going "back" to DS3615xs then. Could the IP issue be related to some switch thingie in DSM, cant remember that I've setup something though, or can it be some setting when installing Virtualbox that I just clicked next (aka default) and missed out on?

Yeah, I'm using the machine's real MAC in grub.cfg

This is my current Virtualbox (on DS3617xs):
image.png.1e9046c82ac7e2dcb5d9a4277fbe5776.png

Edit:
So I went back to DS3615xs, but it still only shows the same amount of RAM in VirtualBox (and the same network interfaces as above😞
image.png.94045a65ad99d4a6a19c97b2b68f2879.png
Not sure what to do here, quickly running out of ideas. I only had 4GB on my J1900 (DS3615xs DSM v6.1.7) prior upgrading to this Ryzen system, could it be some issue from that?

Edit2: Okay, got network working inside Virtualbox / VM and can now connect to my VM using RDP to install it, but the memory is still an issue, but other than that it seems to be fine (for now at least). But the wierd part is how much memory is reserved according to resource monitor, graph below:
image.thumb.png.af4a70c856cb827e3b8b6ca9caca52fa.png

Edited by hellbound
network working, only RAM issue left to iron out

Hi @hellbound not sure I can help with the memory issue but I'm pretty sure your networking issue is the OVS (Open vSwitch) - this needs to be turned off before you install VirtualBox but since your network is still working perhaps you can just turn it off - it will conflicting with vboxdrvs's own network switch.

image.thumb.png.ae419dcf1aed1c48a50962ac0c768d51.png

Please ignore the fact that this says it can't be disabled, that's just because the machine I took the screen cao from is an i7 machine I have VMM running on at work!

Back to you memory issue, @nemesis122 was suggesting you look at the grub edit is the post he referenced:

maybe you can give a try i dont know if this working but its easy to test generate a new loader with his disable_mtrr

That may help, sorry I've not tried to run with that much memory! although the i7 at work is running 8G fine!

Best of luck!

• Thanks 1

@intangybles ah, I must have missed that in all the text / other replies, sorry @nemesis122 !

I will try that when I get back from work, seems very promising, thank you for pointing that out (again)!

Regarding the switch, yes that might be it. But when I created a VM I got an IP from the current LAN segment so maybe it works even without disabling it? But I'll keep that in my mind if it goes haywire later on :D