XPEnology Community

motherboard help

marcjwebb

• 1 month later...

Speaking about upgrading your motherboard. What will happen with the stability of your system?

I know that for each 1TB of storage space, you should have 1GB of RAM.

My motherboard (MIH61R MB 10097-1) and the CPU (Intel Core i3-2100 3.1 GHz) most probably it will have to be changed in the near future (my motherboard only supports max 8GB of DDR3, and I have installed 8GB), when I will expand beyond 8TB of storage.

Will my NAS will still run perfectly? 

Will I have to reinstall it from zero?

What will happen with the data on the HDDs, should they be wiped?

Thanks in advance for your answers!

PS: I've searched for an answer on the forum nothing come up(most of them are about upgrading to a different DSM), because this topic is about changing your motherboard, I've tought that is somehow related with my topic, so posted in here, not not create a new one and keep this forum tidy. 

1 hour ago, boy2litle said:

I know that for each 1TB of storage space, you should have 1GB of RAM.

My motherboard (MIH61R MB 10097-1) and the CPU (Intel Core i3-2100 3.1 GHz) most probably it will have to be changed in the near future (my motherboard only supports max 8GB of DDR3, and I have installed 8GB), when I will expand beyond 8TB of storage.

Will my NAS will still run perfectly? 

Will I have to reinstall it from zero?

What will happen with the data on the HDDs, should they be wiped?

Changing motherboards should not be a reinstall from zero (your words).  You should not wipe your drives.  You need a compatible network card on your new motherboard, or an add-in NIC compatible with the DSM you are running.  Your disks need to be connected in the same manner and order as your old motherboard.  And you need to be able to configure the boot environment identically to your previous install.

If all of those things happen, it should come right up.  It's worth 1) having a backup and 2) testing a migration with your hardware BEFORE using your production disks.

• Thanks 1