XPEnology Community

Compatible 4 port sata card?

kaitoudark

Hi Guys,

Planning to build a nas with xpenology. I am going with the asrock Q1900-itx motherboard with the silverstone ds380 case. The case has 8 hotswap bays. I want to use all 8 but the motherboard only has 4 sata ports. Anyone know any compatible 4 port pcie sata cards that work with xpenology and this motherboard?

In my box that has a couple of these cards, plus the native 4 SATA ports (to make 12 drives available) I have 12 * 7200 rpm SATA 2 Samsung drives setup with 1 drive redundant.

I get around 90mbit transfers thought a gigabit nic/switch to a 'genuine' DS1812 when doing backups etc.

I dont think the speed of this SATA card would be the limitation given everything else involved.

• 2 weeks later...
Hi Guys,

Planning to build a nas with xpenology. I am going with the asrock Q1900-itx motherboard with the silverstone ds380 case. The case has 8 hotswap bays. I want to use all 8 but the motherboard only has 4 sata ports. Anyone know any compatible 4 port pcie sata cards that work with xpenology and this motherboard?

Just built the same setup, Asrock Q1900 with DS380 case, originally was using a PM card with a 2 port pcie sata card but due to the lack of PM drivers I got the Syba SATA III 4 Port PCI-e sbv3000 mentions and that works fine, yeah you end up with 500mb/s divided by 4 so 125mb/s each but not much can be done about that, still more than the gigabit lan will be able to do. Bottleneck will be the lan most likely.

I have been looking into using an adapter for the mini pcie which appears to be 2.0 (according to lspci).

If this http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00HUV4NUK works then you could have a second syba card to have 12 ports in total at a min of 125mb/s or you could use two http://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-Po ... B003GS8VA4 for 250mb/s from each port and 8 ports total (I have that card and it works fine with xpenology).

Of course, no idea if an adapter would work or if xpenology would even register a non wifi mini pcie card in that slot in the first place.

Ed: for attaching the pcie riser I was thinking if you just reverse the pcie sata adapter on the bracket so the pcie male end points away from the motherboard it would all fit in the ds380 perfectly, again, in theory. Also, despite the riser saying it is pcie 1.0, found other sources on the net that do say it can work at 2.0.