XPEnology Community

Internet Connection & iSCSI issues with fixed DSM 5.1

Benoire

Hi,

Installed the fixed DSM 5.1 yesterday and all went well and so far not lost the drives, I do have a number of issues though. Firstly, I get connection errors when trying to access the app storage areas and so cannot install any apps, this connectivity also applies to checking for updates as it comes up with connection errors. The second issue relates to iSCSI and that trying to configure block level across a single LUN (1TB drive) creates problems in that Windows cannot see the newly created volume (but can when doing regular file iSCSI across the SHR pool with thin provisioning enabled) and when I try to delete the target or the LUN, DSM simply sits there waiting and then only way to kill it is to hard reset the machine.

The system is running on a Supermicro X7SPA-HF D510 with 4GB Ram. The USB drive is installed to the internal Type A USB 2 slot and the main install exists on a 60GB SSD that is connected to SATA 0. I have 4 other drives connected to MB sata ports, with the LSI card currently connected but nothing attached.

Has anyone else got similar issues to this, especially iSCSI?

Thanks,

Chris

I'm not sure why you have issues with the packages? If you had previously used the XPEnoboot 5.1 release and rolled back after the time bomb issue you may need to roll back and reinstall the new 5.1. See this post for the release nots about reapplying 5.1 > XPEnoboot 5.1 notes. You could also check your network configs to make sure they are all correct and that your firewall isn't blocking the synology domains like payment.synology.com etc. there are a few required domains which are documented in the synology docs, I can't remember where off the top of my head sorry.

There are known issues with SCSI and the advice from the team is to wait for the next release which will hopefully have the SCSI issues fixed. Check out the last couple of pages of the main 5.1 release thread > XPEnoboot 5.1 thread. There also notes in the opening posts in the announcement threads here and on xpenology.nl warning SCSI users about the problem.

Hi CtrlAltDel,

Nope, this is a clean install of DSM 5.1 as I was unable to migrate my 5.0 installation when I tried. Not sure what has happened as 5.0 apps where working fine with the same hardware.

Its not SCSI I'm referring to but the iSCSI sharing protocol. It seems that creating a new volume and then a regular file lun with thin provisioning works fine, but as soon as I try and create a block level LUN, DSM screws up and windows cannot connect to the new target. Can only delete the target and LUN after resetting DSM via a full hardware reset (or IPMI in my case).

So, it seems that I can't even add the community packages to the package list... No connection at all can be got outside of the network. Weird as the router is not set to block the ip of the device, and there are no blocks at my AD/DNS/DHCP level either.

Rightio, so mental note to self... Need to ensure that the DNS servers mentioned are actually running! My primary DC with DNS/DHCP on Xenserver had dropped out and while my secondary was working fine and therefore connections working DSM only had the primary in its box... D'oh.

Still haven't fixed the issues with iSCSI though.