XPEnology Community

XPEnology - downgrade or update procedure?

shomrighausen

Apologies for the questions, but I've searched the forum and haven't found a clear process to do a rollback or update of the DSM software.

My setup is generic x86 hardware (test setup). Four SATA drives, booting off of a thumb drive. I installed 5.1 (the one with the time bomb issue)... a few days later, the time bomb went off. I tried to find the process to rollback/install the 5.0 version. When the new (fixed) version of 5.1 boot loader came online this morning, I eagerly created a replacement thumb drive and booted from it. I chose the installation/upgrade option. When I find the box via Synology Assistant, it eventually comes up with a 'ready' status, instead of allowing me to do an install of the .PAT file. When I try to do the upgrade via the Control Panel, it also fails.

What steps am I missing to do an rollback or upgrade? It seems like I should have the option to re-install the DSM software at some point, while leaving my data intact. It's just a test environment, but I'd like to figure this out and make it part of my home lab. I also have two Synology NAS devices at home (DS1512+ and DS214se), so it's not critical, but I would like to understand the process for the 'DIY'-ology...

When you double-click the xpe-box in Synology Assistant, it should give you the option to upgrade/migrate to a new DSM version via a pat file.

Minor update (update 1, update 2 etc), I use the manual update via the control panel (with the sed commands).

I am only a few days into this experiment but I've not have any issue in update/upgrade the xpe-box.

When I double click the NAS within Synology Assistant, it takes me to the login web page for the NAS. I guess this is where I have the disconnect. If the 'install/upgrade' option on the bootloader menu is supposed to 'reset' the DSM back to an 'install' mode, it doesn't appear to be functioning.

I've tried the OSX version of the Synology Assistant, the Windows version of the Synology Assistant and the find.synology.com URL in multiple browers on OSX and Windows... they're all consistent. I think the NAS itself isn't getting 'reset' to the point that it thinks it needs to be installed.