XPEnology Community

Downloaded tonite the appliance. Applied synobootfix. 

Running on ESXi 6.7 U3, Gigabyte Aorus M, 16 GB Kingston Predator, AMD 2600X, Custom ESX Installer Image to enable onboard Network Adapter, gforce 1030 (without passthrough) and (at the moment) only one nvme Kingston 256 GB in Fractal Design Node 804

Just wanted to leave a big "thank you man" here @armazohairge. Saved me quiet some time. I did the same "dry" with a local vmware a few weeks ago. Actually I wanted to purchase some Intel CPU but ended up with the physical AMD structure as mentioned above. 

Up until now everything was quiet charming. ok the Synology ID Login thing, but that has nothing to do your appliance but the general approach which is understandable and fine for me.

At one or two boots internet (pakets) seemed not to be available, but fine now. thx again man.

On 11/17/2020 at 6:47 PM, XPEuser2 said:

Hello,

Perhaps I have misunderstood

The file here -->  https://mega.nz/file/adVDmaLS#2SN_FA-kkOb_yP0lfQJ84DFywMBW15I3Wk3i3ZTfEew

Is this appliance ready for ESXi 7 or is this only ready for VMware Workstation? I am using ESXi 7 and would like very much to get this to work.  I left everything as default, and after it boots to the loading screen where it says "welcome to Jun's Mod, please go to http://find.synology.com/"  I can't find it on any LAN no matter what adapter I connect to it, and http://find.synology.com/ yields nothing.   Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks 

EXSI 7.0 Update: Working

Hi everyone,  For everyone who would like to the pre-made ova appliance file in ESXi 7.0 this is how I got it to work: 

1. Create / Register New Virtual Machine

2. Choose "Deploy a Virtual Machine from an OVF or OVA file"

3. Upload the file from the Mega.NZ link in the above quoted post

4. leave everything as default and at this point it should boot up and run.

5. you won't be able to access it on the network and the find.synology.com won't work (in my tests this was true)

6. turn off the vm from the web based Esxi interface. 

7.  Edit the settings of the vm and go to network adapters. 

8. Change the adapter type to E1000e, and set the mac address to manual, and change it to 00:11:32:2C:A7:85

9. Boot up the Vm guest and go to find.synology.com

Lastly as a side note: your CPU and processor/threads won't show up properly in the control panel/info, but the image will be using the correct number of cores/threads from the correct processor. You can verify this by logging into your Vm with SSH and issuing the command "cat proc/cpuinfo'" (don't use quotes)

These steps worked for me. Best of luck to everyone else, I hope this helps. 

Edited by XPEuser2

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/9/2020 at 3:14 PM, Chuck12 said:

Just wanted to let those interested v6.2.3-25426-Update 3 works fine on this VM. The update was applied to the original upload (synobootfix applied) and not the updated appliance.

thanks for sharing this!! after the synofix boot i too was able to upgrade to v6.2.3-25426-Update 3

Edited by niekniek89

• 3 months later...
On 11/28/2020 at 8:17 PM, XPEuser2 said:

Hi everyone,  For everyone who would like to the pre-made ova appliance file in ESXi 7.0 this is how I got it to work: 

5. you won't be able to access it on the network and the find.synology.com won't work (in my tests this was true)

8. Change the adapter type to E1000e, and set the mac address to manual, and change it to 00:11:32:2C:A7:85

Lastly as a side note: your CPU and processor/threads won't show up properly in the control panel/info, but the image will be using the correct number of cores/threads from the correct processor. You can verify this by logging into your Vm with SSH and issuing the command "cat proc/cpuinfo'" (don't use quotes)

I am using this version: https://mega.nz/file/adVDmaLS#2SN_FA-kkOb_yP0lfQJ84DFywMBW15I3Wk3i3ZTfEew

I tried this but its still not finding the DSM.

I am running ESX 6.7 U2  -- any help would be appreciated.

Edited by postdeals
forgot link

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/28/2020 at 5:17 PM, XPEuser2 said:

I posted this some time ago, however I have all but given up on getting this to work fully and properly.  All of the above works, however as soon as you try to xfer large amounts of media / files the disk reports corrupted in ESXI. I've tried everything I know but each time is the same.  The disk is question is perfectly fine.  It is new, and works fine when it is associated with other VMs.  I've also tried this with other disks, and still got the same result.  If anyone has any new information on how to get this to work in ESXI that would be great.  Thanks. 

• 5 months later...
On 11/29/2020 at 1:17 AM, XPEuser2 said:

Just saying thanks once again.  I had this running early last year but with Covid and other health issues drifted off and when I came back and updated to Esxi7 I lost the DSM but a clean install and this advice re mac address etc got things back. Wonderful forum.

Now to build a new NAS,  My DS412+ is plodding on and an 1817 bought ' in error ' is working fine but being ARM has major limitations.  Thinking of building a multi purpose probably intel based - as getting bad vibes on AMD front ATX board preferably Asus based on experience of  other 4 pc's

• 1 month later...
On 4/15/2021 at 9:14 PM, XPEuser2 said:

I posted this some time ago, however I have all but given up on getting this to work fully and properly.  All of the above works, however as soon as you try to xfer large amounts of media / files the disk reports corrupted in ESXI. I've tried everything I know but each time is the same.  The disk is question is perfectly fine.  It is new, and works fine when it is associated with other VMs.  I've also tried this with other disks, and still got the same result.  If anyone has any new information on how to get this to work in ESXI that would be great.  Thanks. 

Hi are you using vmdk disks for data? I have tried that on the pas nd had he same issues. I am using controller passthrough now in ESXI and Proxmox and that seems to work reliable.
if your controller does not support passthrough try RDM, but I am not sure if that works reliable either.