XPEnology Community

Thank you and Is there an advantage to Synology mobile app?

dynax

Thank you

I’ve just completed the xpenology installation on my test computer Dell T110 (Xeon , 4gig ECC) using nanoboot and everything runs great.

I’ve always been a Qnap users with 3 models and always wondering what’s the big deal about Synology app that ppl have been talking about. I’ve been satisfied with the Qnap App on the iOS, QMobile and Qmanager to be specific. Qmanager has been great, it give me the status of the NASs, process running, App status (such as backup, download), bandwidth, ram, disk status, system logs and current connected Users etc.

I can’t find an equivalent app on Synology NAS. Am I missing anything? “DS finder” is very basic. The only way to get system status is to use the browser. So far I can’t see the advantage of Synology over Qnap in term of mobile apps. DS video/audio etc is about the same as Qmobile (which has both video and music built in).

When using DS video to play an mkv file with srt caption and airplay to a TV. The caption is shown on the iOS device, not the TV (pictures and sound are still shown on the TV).

I must give a big thumb up to the developers. Is there a link for donation to the xpenology effort? I saw the link to nanoboot but my work firewall blocks that link

Yeah, that's what I've been doing in the last few days.

To me, it's not really a solution. I want a separate app for security reason. On the iOS (jailbrake) I can lock individual app with a password. My NAS password is both long and hard to type in the touch screen because of special character and I can't use the "remember me" option for obvious reason, I cant lock the browser either. I looks like I may need to get another browser just for checking xpenology box and then lock that browser instead.

Thank you.

Well to meet your requirements would involve editing the apps source to add view logs etc. or you would need to write a new app that does what you want. If you're not a programmer I guess you will have to go and ask a dev nicely to write it for you. You could also post your feature suggestions on the Synology forums and maybe one of the devs will add the extra functionality.

You could use a keysafe system to store your keys for you and your alternative browser solution would work there are plenty of browsers out there.

I agree having the option to check the logs and current users with refresh would be a nice addition in the regular app rather than having to login to the main DSM control panel.