XPEnology Community

Question about updating Loader

MaxHW

Question

Hi guys, im new to xpenology, so sorry if my question is kinda dumb...

I used 1.03b loader to install 918+ into my j3455 machine and it has no /dev/dri file, so I was told to use the 1.04 loader.

Here's my question: does updating the loader affect my data in the nas drivers? as in will I have to format my drivers after the loader update? do I need to backup my drivers or can I just update the loader directly?

I have read the post 

it does teach how to update but doesnt say anything about data loss...

thanks in advance!

6 answers to this question

2 hours ago, MaxHW said:

Here's my question: does updating the loader affect my data in the nas drivers?

no, the new loader will require to change the system from 3615/17 to 918+ and the assistant will offer to migrate, leaving your data as it is and use most other dsm system data (like ip, user, shares)

2 hours ago, MaxHW said:

as in will I have to format my drivers after the loader update?

no, migration to a different type is supported

if anything is not good you can start over from the loader with the 2nd option, that would still keep your data (raid) but reset the installed system for fresh reinstall

when using 1.04b / 918+ i'd suggest 6.2.3 and this additional driver pack to get /dev/dri working with 6.2.3

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

5 hours ago, IG-88 said:

no, the new loader will require to change the system from 3615/17 to 918+ and the assistant will offer to migrate, leaving your data as it is and use most other dsm system data (like ip, user, shares)

no, migration to a different type is supported

if anything is not good you can start over from the loader with the 2nd option, that would still keep your data (raid) but reset the installed system for fresh reinstall

when using 1.04b / 918+ i'd suggest 6.2.3 and this additional driver pack to get /dev/dri working with 6.2.3

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

ahhh i went through your post, really good job man, thanks for the guides, but i've seen many problems with 6.2.3, is it ok to install it now or is it better just to stick with 6.2.2?

16 hours ago, MaxHW said:

but i've seen many problems with 6.2.3, is it ok to install it now or is it better just to stick with 6.2.2?

i migrated my own 12 disk lately from 6.1.7 on a new hardware to 6.2.3, nothing wrong with it

what kind of problem you where reading about?

On 6/26/2020 at 3:34 AM, IG-88 said:

i migrated my own 12 disk lately from 6.1.7 on a new hardware to 6.2.3, nothing wrong with it

what kind of problem you where reading about?

nevermind, the posts that i had seen with problems were far outdated, my bad. just installed 6.2.3 without any problems last night, jellyfin working smoothly right now! great tutorial!

On 6/24/2020 at 8:13 PM, MaxHW said:

ahhh i went through your post, really good job man, thanks for the guides, but i've seen many problems with 6.2.3, is it ok to install it now or is it better just to stick with 6.2.2?

The problems are mostly solved now, and involved migrating from 6.2.2 to 6.2.3.  Clean install of 6.2.3 is fairly trouble-free.