XPEnology Community

Network(WWW) smb transfers are slow

CreerNLD

Question

Hi,

Recently i opened up my nas to be reachable to the WWW, this because i travel alot.
I noticed that, my 8tb drive locally ( using \\192.168.x.x ) writes to the folder @70 - 110 mb/s

but when i use the WWW address (\\server.name) it only writes 27 to 35mb/s

Everything inside my house is supporting 1gbit/s and higher, all cables are cat 6a.

SMB Encryption is off, SMB2 Lease enabled, Opportunistic locking enabled.

MTU 1500, full duplex, 1000mbps

How can i find out what's bottlenecking the transfers?

I personally think it's a slow (DNS?) but im not sure, i don't know much about this section / file transfers.

anyone has tips on how to speed this up? to be like having the transfer speeds as i would locally? or is this simply not possible.

3 answers to this question

By

5 hours ago, CreerNLD said:

but when i use the WWW address (\\server.name)

you mean access from inside the LAN? Btw.: this is not the www-address, this would be http(s)://yournas.yourlocaldomain:5000 (or 5001).

If you access the share by DNS and it's UNC path (\\server.name) speeds should be the same except you have any firewall, packet filtering or routing which causes this. Any 100mbit routing/DNS device between it?

When you access it from the "outside" your speeds are limited to your upstream bandwith. For example: VDSL with 200mbit/s down and 50mbit/s upstream will only give you around 4-5MB (not mbit) per second.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jensmander said:

By

you mean access from inside the LAN? Btw.: this is not the www-address, this would be http(s)://yournas.yourlocaldomain:5000 (or 5001).

If you access the share by DNS and it's UNC path (\\server.name) speeds should be the same except you have any firewall, packet filtering or routing which causes this. Any 100mbit routing/DNS device between it?

When you access it from the "outside" your speeds are limited to your upstream bandwith. For example: VDSL with 200mbit/s down and 50mbit/s upstream will only give you around 4-5MB (not mbit) per second.

I use \\ip.addr internally on my home network and so i was able to get 110mb/s transferspeeds.

I have bought a domain name attached to my ip addr(ext) that i use so no need to write the port number; just reading what u said i think it makes sense now.

I forgot to realize my parents have 200mb up and down. Would this result in 27/35 mb/s speeds? 

(Reading again; ah mbit not mbs. So outside seems right)

Everything at home is 1gbit or even 10gbit. No 100mbit routings here.

You fixed my issue 😁 my parents took a downgrade it seems without telling me. All fine. Thanks jens :)

• Haha 1