XPEnology Community

ASRock J4105 - Vanilla install: What am i missing?

Hello noob here, 

I read through a lot of the posts and it looks like the J4105 board is mentioned a lot as having no issues with installing and running DSM. 

However, I am stuck and have no clue how to proceed. 

System Details:

• MB: ASRock J4105
  • RAM: 1x16GB stick
  • HDD: Seagate 2x2TB.
  • Loader: 1.04b (no extras)
  • DSM - 6.2.3 (25426) for 918+

I am able to boot into the boot loader and I can see the machine using Synology Assistant. Further I am able to install DSM to completion until it triggers the reboot. 

However, when I remove the install USB stick and reboot  the machine now goes into the ASRock UEFI BIOS and can't exit since it can't find a boot device. The Hard Drives are listed in the SATA list, but don't show up in the boot options. 

Tried moving around the drives to different SATA ports, re-installing/migrating DSM - nothing has helped. 

On a side note - I was able to install FreeNAS and boot up from the same setup, so I do not think it is a hardware failure. 

Is there something I am completely missing? Any help would be appreciated.

thank you.

Edited by indyslim

4 hours ago, indyslim said:

However, when I remove the install USB stick and reboot  the machine now goes into the ASRock UEFI BIOS

Driver extensions not required for J4105 (EDIT: possibly for transcoding but not for basic functionality).  USB stick is not for installation. It IS the boot device.  It has to stay in.

Edited by flyride
  • Like 1

Thank you for the clarification. I assumed this was similar to FreeNAS and you could remove the USB once the install is done. My bad - not reading carefully enough. 

So, does the USB flash drive have to stay on the NAS for ever? 

If I understood the process correctly, going back to the original image would mean that I have to install DSM/migrate the install. It is not a drop-in transparent back-up. 

If that is correct, can I shut down my NAS, pull out the boot USB drive and make a couple of clones so that I can plug in and pretend like nothing happened if current stick fails for whatever reason?