XPEnology Community

Package Center problems with build 2668++

So, I got a new toy, a "shiny" HP m7000. Celeron D 346, 2gigs of RAM, a 300GB builtin HDD (plus my two 1TB ones), and ofc no onboard graphics.

Fortunately the network card is supported by the e100 package, so I could successfully boot and install build 2668++, the "more hardware" version. Everything is fine, except that I get an error any time I try to use the Package Center. The "Connection Error" stays even if I add custom package sources, so it's not related to the Synology servers.

Did anyone encounter this same problem? If yes, how did you solve it? I installed Synology mainly for the easy extra software installation, and now that it is gone, it is not appealing at all. I want my packages back :grin:

have you tried build 3202?

The only problem i had is the "additional" hardware i have like PCI-SATA-ESATA RAID CONTROLLER (not really a branded one) and a GIGABIT USB3.0 Network Card. The rest of the system works let's say... native.

I tried all 4.2 builds, so far none worked. All got stuck at the "Booting kernel." part of GRUB, so apparently there's something in the additional hardware kernel what makes it boot.

About hardware incompatibility: Synology detected neither my WLAN PCI card /Linksys WMP300N), nor my TV card (some Asus stuff without model marking, so it cannot be that mainstream to be supported by the linux kernel, or was simply not compiled into). Otherwise, it detected the mobo's ICH7 controller, three hard drives are working right now (quite annoying that I can't create an additional partition on the original drive, as it is 300GB, and I don't think Synology needs that amount of space, so it should be possible to use it for e.g. user home folder storage, location for the web host services, etc.).

EDIT:

After two restarts, and by installing the ipkg bootstrap, it seems to be working. The Synology server reports a busy status, but custom servers work. Now I only need a list of usable servers :grin:

I have perl installed via the Official Synology package server.

You can try a manual install with the latest file from: http://ukdl.synology.com/download/packages/ You should take bromolow if i'm not wrong.

Cheers

PS: you will have to perform manual updates if the official package center is not available, but i think you figured this out by yourself :grin:

I have perl installed via the Official Synology package server.

You can try a manual install with the latest file from: http://ukdl.synology.com/download/packages/ You should take bromolow if i'm not wrong.

Cheers

PS: you will have to perform manual updates if the official package center is not available, but i think you figured this out by yourself :grin:

By now the official server is up, and figured out that Perl requires 4.2, but modified the package a bit and now it's installed!

Really final thing is to figure out how to install this on my 8GB USB flash. Installer goes through fine, but apparently it does not save the update file on the disk...

What are you trying to do? To update from the flash dongle or to install DSM on it?

I want to install it on the flash drive, as I don't have a small enough spare hard drive to jam it into the case (and I don't want to waste my 300GB one on a simple 500mb install :grin:)

DSM is installing on all HDDs in the defined RAID or just on one HDD if you don't have a RAID matrix defined.

I tried to install it on a flash but i couldn't and i didn't tried alot.

I think it could be done with VirtualBox and some commandline but it's not really recommended because of many things.

DSM is installing on all HDDs in the defined RAID or just on one HDD if you don't have a RAID matrix defined.

I tried to install it on a flash but i couldn't and i didn't tried alot.

I think it could be done with VirtualBox and some commandline but it's not really recommended because of many things.

I get that first part, and it is understandable, but still it eats up all the 300GB, making it unusable. And as I said, it has no errors whatsoever, but apparently the filesystem is not created.

Now, that's strange.

I have 4.2 3202 on 4 HDDs and took one of them today for service and before wiping i saw that there were about 4 partitions on it but the one for the system is quite small, nevertheless, not 300GB

Neither are, but I still can't really add it as a partition, tried it and it got wiped :\