XPEnology Community

long time user dsm5 going to dsm6

wakkawakka

Hi yall.  Been running a TS140 xpen box for 4 years and it has been amazing.  I'm about to backup all the data to external USB and do a totally fresh load.  current rig is ds3615xs and 5.2-5967 update 9.

before i do this, just wanted to confirm for my ts140 my best PAT to go with is again the ds3615xs_15284 and jun loader 1.03b and DSM 6.2?

Choose a 6.2.3 capable platform based on features and hardware capabilities

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

From the FAQ, use 1.03b loader or 1.04b loader depending on the platform you choose

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7848-links-to-loaders/

Latest DSM 6.2.3 code here, pick the download corresponding to the platform decision

https://archive.synology.com/download/DSM/release/6.2.3/25426/

a milion thanks.. i will redo my USB stick and go up to the 1.04b and 6.2.3 code and 918+ since i have a haswell.  excited to get v6 going so i can get access to all of the new stuff i ahve been missing out on.  cannot being to express how PERFECT by v5 rig has been.  amazing.

Thanks again, guys.  I have a 10TB West Digi USB coming tomorrow, bought for $169 at Best Buy.  Once I am backed up I will flash the BIOS on the TS140 and then load up xpen.   I just made a 1.04b loader usb stick with my grub edit for vid/pid/mac/sn and tested it using the intel mesh remote access.  works.

Will go with 6.2.3 DSM_DS918+_25426 and report back on how it went.  It has been 4 years since I did my Xpen box so i was a bit RUSTY.  REALLY appreciate the help, guys.

OK.  All is well.  I'm doing my packages now and moving my data back from EXT USB onto the internal disks.  Running DSM6.2.3-25426 with JUN 1.04b loader and all is great.

HOWEVER!  One major thing.  My TS140 lenovo has intel management so I can remote desktop to it easily.  With my old loader the XPENOBOOT, I had a full console access and could login as admin and issue linux commands.  With the JUN 1.04b the screen just stays on the "Happy hacking.  Screen will stop updating shortly" and I do not have a console command.  How do I get to the console with Jun 1.04?

got it.   im in wth PUTTY and enabled ssh/telnet in the xpen box.  GREAT.

question.  i'm in the box and running a 

admin@DISKSTATION:/$ cat /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf
cat: /usr/syno/etc/codec/activation.conf: No such file or directory

i do not have a codec dir in admin@DISKSTATION:/usr/syno/etc$

what pack/package do i need to add the codecs for hw transcodes?

There are posts here that show how to self-register, I think it's just through a web page.  This is only necessary if you want Syno's native app to transcode.

Search is your friend. There are many, many threads filled with folks trying to figure out how to transcode.