XPEnology Community

root password no longer working after major update

WannabeMKII

I've just updated from 4493 Update 5 to 4493 Update 7. I then updated to 4528, all with no problems.

However, I've just tried to update to 4528 Update 2 and when logging in with SSH, the root password is no longer working.

I know what the password is, as 15 minutes ago I did the exact same process to update from 4493 Update 5 to 4493 Update 7 and that worked without any issues.

Can anyone please help?

I'm also using Nanoboot 5.0.3.2 if that info is need on a HP N54L running from USB as bare bones.

Are you sure you didn't enter a typo when you typed in the password for the update? You can always rollback and then apply the update again that will allow you to enter a fresh password.

So am I right in thinking the root password never changes from my original password from day one and used when completing minor or major updates? Or is it set when major updates are installed?

When you follow the major update process you are required to enter a password along with the name of the machine. When you apply a minor update there is no need to enter the password because you''re applying it as the admin/root/system account.

The thread title states Major update which means you would have been prompted to enter a password whether you used the same password as you did before is up to you. If you entered a typo in both fields you maybe entering in the wrong pw unknowingly. Caps lock?