XPEnology Community

Compatible DVB-S2 card or usb?

zarillo

HI,

i used the search but i could not find a proper answer to my question:

I plan to build my own server to run plex on it and record HDTV (that i stream via plex afterwards to my clients). OS shall be Xpenology as I will be able to use the plex plugin and the videostation for recording.

Does anyone know a PCIe or USB Card/Stick that is supported by Xpenology? I dont want to fiddle around with drivers or stuff...plug and ply if possible. :smile:

Merci!!

Zarillo

Hi,

Forget to use PCI or USB DVB tuners. :mad:

Upgrade to next level: SAT>IP servers! :shock:

You can purchase devices with 4 DVB-S2 tuners for €120, or devices with 1 DVB-S2 tuner for €50 (Mirage CX STB). :lol:

I run several of them with clients inside virtual machines. No difference between PCI/PCIe/USB devices except that you don't have any hardware troubles! :grin:

Hi,

yes, a German bord user also recommanded that method and I am thinking of going with the VU+ Zero receiver. Its small, noiseless, and powerfull enough to serve as a recorder to the NAS.

PLex is capable of streaming and transcoding .TS files so I dont even have to do anything with the recorded files.

Thanks for the tipp!!

@Holybable: I did that and I know the list ( thanks for the constructive tip) but

1. The result is (at least to me) not clear on the question if a USB stick that is compatible with Synology is also compatible with Xpenology. I assume yes, but you cant take that for granted i guess. Thats why i am interested in the experience of other users.

and

2. The list contains only USB sticks. I asked for experience with internal PCIe DVB cards as I build my own NAS and like to avoid external stuff that blocks a otheriwse available USB port.

But anyway..i will now go with the VU+ Zero and avoid all driver hassle. :smile:

Hmm...but is it powerful enough to run Plexserver? AFAIK PLex is not supported on VU boxes and/but it is the best way to transcode and stream not compatible video formats (especially in my setup to a Chromestick) up to FullHD resoultion.

How and what do you transcode and whats your setup?

There is a plex plugin for E² receivers but I havn't really played with it yet. It's called dreamplex.

The DUO² has its own dedicated transcoding chip so it doesn't really hammer the CPU (which is duel core 1.3 GHz anyway)

There are loads of options/configs for transcoding, you just 'play' until you are happy with the results.

I have no issues streaming from my DUO² to tablets/mobiles/Raspberry PI etc etc via local network or over the internet.

Edited by Guest

Hmmm...interesting. So if i can stream all my videos to my several clients via the Duo2 thats definitly a option for me. However: Is there a sort of mediaportal/Bibliothek like the one the Plex offers? I think XBMC/Kodi is similar but does it run on the duo2?

Hi,

I repeat: forget USB DVB-S2 devices!!! :eek:

http://www.amazon.de/Smart-Satelliten-R ... B00DILS7JY

55 Euro, DVB-S2 (1 tuner) SAT>IP server... working 24/7 from several months. Less expensive that a USB DVB-S2 receiver, and without the problem of drivers... SAT>IP is a PROTOCOL, and don't need DRIVERS.

Belive me: NO MORE USB DVB-S2 DEVICES, NEVER MORE! :shock: