XPEnology Community

Streaming to TV extremely slow

matogar

Question

Hi,

I have a Custom Build XPEnology 6.2 with Media Server application installed in order to watch my media on my SmartTV LG.

The problem I have is that it gets loading and after 5 minutes then it plays for 2 seconds and back again to load and again and again... I have my TV and my XPEnology connected to the LAN (1Gb) with CAT5e.

I have tried to uninstall and install again the MediaServer application. I have tried to play on the TV the same media file but from another NAS I have (MyBookLive) and it works perfectly. I have reviewed the folder permissions and no luck.

Does anybody know what I can try?

Thanks.

24 answers to this question

You might explain what media server application you are using and perhaps what hardware, what DSM version, etc you are using.

1 Gbps LAN is enough to stream 4K Blu Ray (50GB files) although your disks had better be very fast for it not to stutter.  Most people aren't trying to do that, so bandwidth is probably not an issue.  I would expect your media app is transcoding in real time and it cannot keep up.  Some people go overkill with CPU hardware so that it can, or they use Intel Quicksync for hardware acceleration (helps somewhat, but is very picky with hardware).  For me I just make sure that I never create circumstances where the media application has to transcode and it works fine.

Hi flyride, thanks for your answer.

Here you are more information, that I agree, I should have said upfront.

- Software used "Media Server", that is the name the application has in the Synology store. https://www.synology.com/es-es/dsm/packages/MediaServer

- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo CPU @ 2666Mhz

- Memory: 4 GB

- MotherBoard: Gigabyte EP43-DS3L

- LAN 1Gpbs (Cat5e cable)

- Current version DS3615xs -- DSM 6.2-23739

- 3 Hard disks 7.200 rpm working in RAID 0 with no security, no encryption, nothing at all, since I just use it for consuming media that I have a backup somewhere else.

In the "Media Server" application I have all the transcoding options set to OFF, the same way I used to have when I was using it when I had XPEnology 5.2, since my TV is quite powerful to handle everything on its own. Keep in mind, that if I play the exact same file from my MyBookLive NAS (really basic and old NAS) it works perfectly in 4K.

One important thing to comment here is that before I used to have XPEnology 5.2 (with the same hardware of course) and it was working perfectly in streaming 4K content, it has been since I installed XPEnology 6.2 when I started having issues.

Now when I play content, the processor, memory and LAN activity is nearly 0%, it looks like the NAS does not know it needs to send data to the TV. And I think here is the issue and I don't know why.

Any idea?

Thanks so much!

Hi All,

Some progress from my side… I was still unable to watch content using "Media Server" package. Therefore I decided to go in a different way by uninstalling "Media Server" package and installing manually Twonky server on the NAS…

As Synology is just another Linux distribution, I have managed to install Twonky server through SSH on the NAS and I created a "Schedule task" in order to launch the Twonky Server each time I boot the NAS. All went perfectly fine.

Unfortunately now, although I see the new media server in my TV (the Twonky server), when I play content, I am still in the same situation than before where the Synology does not send any data to the TV.

This makes me think that the issue was actually not related to the "Media Server" package but to the NAS itself.

Does anybody have any idea?

Thanks.

try with a more flexible solution as client like a computer, tablet, mobile phone, check network speed through copying files, also try to replay a file with vlc

maybe you can try plex as alternative as a package (no install issues, easy to do) try to use one file for all tests

some audio formats can be a problem like dts, so use a "simple" file 1st and when its working try more complicated cases like dvd/bluray (different audio tracks, higher bandwidth)

if the media server is proven to work you might try the lg tv

Thanks IG-88!

I have tried with an iPad and an Iphone and same result, the NAS almost does not stream any data to the remote devices. I have even tried with a small file (720p) and the same result. 

It is so weird, because when I copy files with other computers and laptop I have at home it works at 113MB (maxing out 1Gbps LAN).

I think that through DLNA you don't need to create nor use any account, but I don't know what else could I try...

I've had same problem.

I have xpenology DSM 6.2.3 machine and Samsung TV.

Sending and receiving file transfer was good, but DLNA speed was so slow ( below 150KB/s at DSM monitoring widget).

Same problem with PLEX server.

- Google chromecast had no ploblem.

I added USB NIC on my xpenology machine.

- bootloader 1.03b 3615xs /w driver ext.

- DSM 6.2.3 update 2

- AMD sempron 140

- biostar AM2+  mainboard /w Gigabit NIC

+ billionton USB 100M NIC

Changed DSM Media Server network interface to USB NIC(2nd NIC)

I moved ethernet cable from onboard GE NIC to USB NIC.

I tested a 1080p movieclip on Samsung TV DLNA. It played flawlessly.

Edited by musclemperor

I just plugged my USB 2.0-100Mbps LAN dongle on my system. 

It seems DSM doesn't support PnP on NIC. You may reboot your xpenology system.

Realtek chipset(RTL8139D) is not supported on my system.(DSM 6.2.3)

100M NIC is good enough to stream 1080p videos.

Edited by musclemperor

Hi @musclemperor,

I just tried what you did and to use USB as a LAN worked for me. Unfortunately, my USB port is quite old and it performs at 290Mb/s only.

What I am wondering now is if I could use a LinkAggregation with the USB and the actual LAN in order to have 290Mb/s + 1000Mb/s... I will try to find out how to do and I will come back.

Edited by matogar

Hi,

I switched from DSM 5.2 to DSM 6.2.3 and now it does not detect the USB LAN connection. 

With DSM5.2 it was working, I just plugged the USB LAN dongle, restarted and worked. But now with the DSM 6.2.3 I have repeated the same steps and it does not recognize any new LAN connection.

Any idea?

Oh dear, how lucky I am hahaha...

How can I know the chipset the dongle has?

This is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B075JBH7Y1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.arotao.com/collections/usb-c-adapter/products/arotao-usb-c-to-ethernet-adapter-usb-3-1-type-c-thunderbolt-3-to-rj45-gigabit-ethernet-lan-network-adapter-1-indicator-for-macbook-macbook-pro-2017-imac-chromebook-pixel-and-other-type-c-devices

And how can I know if 6.2 is compatible with this particular chipset.

I see myself coming back to DSM 5.2 for second time :-(

Edited by matogar

On 9/6/2020 at 7:16 PM, matogar said:

Oh dear, how lucky I am hahaha...

How can I know the chipset the dongle has?

This is the one I bought:

https://www.amazon.es/gp/product/B075JBH7Y1/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.arotao.com/collections/usb-c-adapter/products/arotao-usb-c-to-ethernet-adapter-usb-3-1-type-c-thunderbolt-3-to-rj45-gigabit-ethernet-lan-network-adapter-1-indicator-for-macbook-macbook-pro-2017-imac-chromebook-pixel-and-other-type-c-devices

And how can I know if 6.2 is compatible with this particular chipset.

I see myself coming back to DSM 5.2 for second time :-(

I couldn't found your USB dongle's chipset on web. Maybe you need to plug in it on PC, check driver information or system preference, or disassemble dongle and check the chipset printed. 

DSM 6.2 native driver supports several chipsets. You may need to install driver extension by IG-88.

Nonetheless the driver extension, most of Realtek chipset is not supported on DSM 6.2