XPEnology Community

Define internal sata disk as external

tomhanman

Hello, I'm running DSM 5.0-4528 Update 2 on an old gigabyte atom micro mobo. It has two sata ports. I've got two WD 1tb red drives on them. The first is my share, the second is NTFS formatted and I'd like to use it as a backup destination so that in the case of a problem with my share drive or nas hardware I can simply remove the backup drive and have full access to all files. I could install this backup drive in a USB enclosure and run it externally - but that would mean reduced power management and reduced speeds, as well as simply being a bit silly.

What I want to do is define the second mobo sata connection as an external drive so that the synology (xpenology) can address it for backups in NTFS.

I have seen references to modifying synoinfo.conf for similar uses, but whilst I can start putty and SSH into my xpeno, that is the limit of my abilities and I am instantly lost with the linux commands thereafter.

Could anybody clever give a really comprehensive outline of what (if anything) I should do. Or just explain to me that what I want to do is impossible.

Many thanks in advance

Tom.

An update:

I've found out how to edit the two synoinfo.conf files (one active and one in defaults) using the vi editor in the ssh window when logged on as root (admin password). it is explained a little here: http://forum.synology.com/enu/viewtopic ... &start=300

Then the commands in vi and how to use them are here:

http://www.tutorialspoint.com/unix/unix-vi-editor.htm

The values in the two lines concerned are the following:

esataportcfg="0xff000" which means Decimal: 1044480 Binary: 11111111000000000000

internalportcfg="0xfff" which means Decimal: 4095 Binary: 111111111111

Now having read viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6&p=2023#p2023 I'm thinking that the values define how many ports and which ones using the binary values as a list of ons and offs reading from right to left corresponding to the available sata ports. And hence these values are always mutually exclusive.

So these default values state that the nas has 12 internal sata ports and 8 external. I need to change that to one of each... but not the same one - the first as internal and second as external.

So if I want port 0 as internal and port 1 as external I have to in fact put the hexi value for 01 in internal and the hexi value for 10 in external... as follows:

esataportcfg="0xA"

internalportcfg="0x1"

It probably won't work again, but I'll give it a go and report back.

If anyone would like to chip and shout 'noooooooooooooo' before I go and break it again, go ahead!

This has been discussed various times on these forums.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4687&hilit=+esata#p27928

You just need to make sure if you change a drive to external, that you subtract it from the correct internal spot. There's 3 lines that have to do with how the disk slots are defined (noted in the above link).

One important detail to doing this is that the drives need to enumerate to the same slots every time, or you could end up with a broken array.

Yes indeed discussed, never explained. I didn't ask for another link to another page I've already read that contains half an explanation that someone that is already a programmer would understand did I?

In fact it seems fairly clear that you didn't read my postings, but simply the title, and decided that you'd tell me in a superior fashion that that had already been addressed. Well thanks.

Anyhow, for others, my allocation explanations and process from my second post did indeed work. There is no issue with the enumerating order of drives - I can't understand how there could be. Sata ports are physically numbered, and indeed labelled on the mobo. So I now see one system drive with my shares on it, and one NTFS drive in the external devices section.

I'm pretty damn pleased with myself, only its no eureka moment. When I go to set up backup location, I cannot select this external drive, it doesn't feature in the dropdown menu.

Anyone any idea why not? Seems bleedin unfair!!

Thanks.

Edit: I had to enable the NTFS drive as a shared folder so that it appears in the list of possible destinations. Stupid system as I do not want my backups as a share obviously. But it worked - first backup completed just now and scheduled for every week. As far as speed goes, I don't have much data, but it backed up about 40gb in a few minutes, so not exactly sluggish.

If anyone wants more details on how to go ahead, feel free to message.