XPEnology Community

HP MicroServer Gen8 not able to proceed

Hi,

I'm trying to get a HP Microserver Gen8 to work with XPEnology baremetal.

CPU: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU E31260L @ 2.40GHz

Network: Broadcom HPE Ethernet 1 Gb 2-port 332i adapter

Storage: Smart Array P420 Controller firm: 8.00

I have tried multiple combinations with loaders and drivers.

Network is working for me on: 1.03b_mod ds3615

But storage is not working.

I have tried most of the extra.lzma files i could find here but or i could not find the box on the network after boot or it still could not find the storage.

Last one i tested was: extra.lzma for loader 1.03b_mod ds3615 DSM 6.2.2 v0.5_test

I have also made changes to the grub.cnf to reflect my network card and generated a Serial Number.

Can someone direct me in the right direction as I'm lost in the sea of information on this forum.

If I'm missing information please let me know.

Also would love to know if there is a way to get a shell on the box so i can debug more than i can do now.

29 minutes ago, Maarten Hendrix said:

torage: Smart Array P420 Controller firm: 8.00

you switched this into hba mode? dsm is centered around single disk software raid (mdadm)

Last one i tested was: extra.lzma for loader 1.03b_mod ds3615 DSM 6.2.2 v0.5_test

try 1.03b with DSM 6.2.3 and this extra.lzma for hp sa controller (its not supported in jun's original extra.lzma)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

it has a hpsa.ko driver from kernel synology uses (3.10.105 for 3615/17)

not sure if it works at all, last i remember it was a problem getting these to work at all, maybe now its better as we have nearly recent kernel source from synology

you can also read this for some added information

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/?do=findComment&comment=148637

basically the nic is no problem when loader and extra.lzma match (dsm 6.2.2 needs different drivers but with 6.2.3 all is back to normal and the "old" drivers would work again)

bigger problem is the P420, the older P400 and P410 where pointless as it did not had hba mode but P420 would at least in theory be possible to use in a way it makes sense with dsm (hba mode), but it might be much easier to get a lsi 9211-8i in IT mode (same as hba mode on HPE SA)

if you switch it to hba mode and want to sink some time try the recent 0.11 extra,lzma and dsm 6.2.3, if that does not work and you got your serial port working (see below) you can write me a PM and i might compile newer driver from external source for testing

Also would love to know if there is a way to get a shell on the box so i can debug more than i can do now.

afair in this case with iLO and virtual com port (the console is switched to serial)