Upgrade from 6.1.7 to 6.2.3 bare metal HP N54L ?


Recommended Posts

Does anyone have any experience upgrading HP N54L from 6.1.7 to 6.2.3

Im using 1.02b loader DS3615xs ,

I'm assuming I replace with 1.03b DS3615xs and use a 6.2.3 25426 pat file to upgrade ?

I don't have any additional Nic's etc , just standard bare metal 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

You'll want to select a "Migration Install."  Some have reported that installing FixSynoboot.sh is necessary before starting the upgrade to avoid ERROR 21 and failure.

 

The other pitfall with the 1.03b loader that is commonly encountered is the requirement to set BIOS/Legacy/CMS boot rather than EFI, which worked on 1.02b and the same DSM platform (3615xs/3617xs).

Edited by flyride
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, flyride said:

You'll want to select a "Migration Install."  Some have reported that installing FixSynoboot.sh is necessary before starting the upgrade to avoid ERROR 21 and failure.

 

The other pitfall with the 1.03b loader that is commonly encountered is the requirement to set BIOS/Legacy/CMS boot rather than EFI, which worked on 1.02b and the same DSM platform (3615xs/3617xs).

 

Many thanks , do you know that 6.2.3 and 1.03b loader will work with my standard onboard NIC (Broadcom ?) 

Link to post
Share on other sites

It should, but you really should review the upgrade thread and see if someone has successfully upgraded using your platform/NIC.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/29401-dsm-623-25426/

 

And, rather than just "taking the plunge" why don't you temporarily pull your drives and USB key, then install 6.2.3 clean on a new key and blank drive, and then you'll know if it works ...

 

Annnnnd, have a backup.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, flyride said:

It should, but you really should review the upgrade thread and see if someone has successfully upgraded using your platform/NIC.

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/29401-dsm-623-25426/

 

And, rather than just "taking the plunge" why don't you temporarily pull your drives and USB key, then install 6.2.3 clean on a new key and blank drive, and then you'll know if it works ...

 

Annnnnd, have a backup.


not a bad idea. Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

At default, Jun''s 1.03b doesn't have Broadcom NIC driver. -> It can find by Synology Assistant at first, later your N54L never response.
If you want use default NIC, may need extra.lzma which contain Broadcom NIC driver.

No want use extra.lzma, buy Intel PCIe Gigabit NIC and install on N54L, and in BIOS you must disable Internal NIC.

Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Ermite said:

At default, Jun''s 1.03b doesn't have Broadcom NIC driver. -> It can find by Synology Assistant at first, later your N54L never response.
If you want use default NIC, may need extra.lzma which contain Broadcom NIC driver.

No want use extra.lzma, buy Intel PCIe Gigabit NIC and install on N54L, and in BIOS you must disable Internal NIC.


it actually works with the Broadcom nic without extra.lzma

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, scoobdriver said:


it actually works with the Broadcom nic without extra.lzma

Oh, there is something changed? Or some work needed? When I apply Jun's Loader 1.03b/DSM 6.2.3 on my N54L with default NIC, it doesn't work.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I did exactly the same upgrade on a N54L with onboard nic. I used the 1.03b DS3615xs loader and made the same changes to it that I did for 1.02b.

What you also need to do is to check for and delete the .xpenoboot folder before the upgrade otherwise you may find that DSM comes up afterwards  but when you log in to the DSM desktop, all the services crash.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/3/2020 at 11:32 AM, scoobdriver said:

Does anyone have any experience upgrading HP N54L from 6.1.7 to 6.2.3

Im using 1.02b loader DS3615xs ,

I'm assuming I replace with 1.03b DS3615xs and use a 6.2.3 25426 pat file to upgrade ?

I don't have any additional Nic's etc , just standard bare metal 

Hi Scoobdriver,

 

Did you manage to succeed with this? I’m looking to do exactly the same (Edit: Forgot to mention that I’m on an N40L). I’ve actually already bought and installed the Intel NIC as hadn’t realised 6.2.3 was compatible with the Broadcom.

 

Would you mind giving a little bit of info regarding the migration process? Last time I did the actual installation was years ago when moving from 5.2! Anything unusual to watch out for?

 

Kind regards,

Dan

Edited by dan90joe
Additional info added
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, dan90joe said:

moving from 5.2! Anything unusual to watch out for?

 

a folder /.xpenology can prevent 6.x from booting properly, it should be removed

Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, IG-88 said:

 

a folder /.xpenology can prevent 6.x from booting properly, it should be removed

Worth mentioning I'm already on DSM 6.1.7-15284 Update 3. Where is the /.xpenology folder located?

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, dan90joe said:

Worth mentioning I'm already on DSM 6.1.7-15284 Update 3. Where is the /.xpenology folder located?

 

Can't get really any more explicit than that.  It will only exist if you had 5.x installed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dan90joe said:

Hi Scoobdriver,

 

Did you manage to succeed with this? I’m looking to do exactly the same (Edit: Forgot to mention that I’m on an N40L). I’ve actually already bought and installed the Intel NIC as hadn’t realised 6.2.3 was compatible with the Broadcom.

 

Would you mind giving a little bit of info regarding the migration process? Last time I did the actual installation was years ago when moving from 5.2! Anything unusual to watch out for?

 

Kind regards,

Dan


pretty much as described. I created a new usb boot. With the variables I’d used before. Had to change the ( ids for the usb stock. ) 

it upgraded fine. I then had difficulty logging in the web ui. Found a post about deleting the /.xpenology folder and it works perfect now. (I think you need to be ssh as root to delete that folder ) 

I was also on 6.1.7 and that old folder had caused no issues until then. 
Ssh in. With a admin account. 

sudo -i (as root. )
cd / 

ls -l 

 

have a look of the folder appears. Is it does delete it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, scoobdriver said:

have a look of the folder appears. Is it does delete it. 

Have searched in root and can't see any xpenology folders. Wonder why it isn't there.

 

Thanks for the other information. I'm going to try and do a test run with another HDD before trying with my production drives.

Screenshot 2020-08-09 at 10.25.51.png

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi all,

 

Have gone ahead and all seemed to be fine at first. Can log in and files are still there, however, I'm coming across all services shutting down, so FileStation, Docker etc all have to be run again from Package Center. These then disable again within a few minutes.

 

I can't seem to find the /.xpenology files that might be causing the issues. Sorry if this isn't the right place to post - and I have had a bit of a search elsewhere on the forum, but is there anything else I might be able to try?


Best,

Dan

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, scoobdriver said:

Apologies you may need to use -a to see hidden files or folders. 
e.g 

ls -a or ls -la 

 

 

Spot on! Folder was called /.xpenoboot and deleted it with:

rm -r /.xpenoboot

All working as expected after deleting that folder! Thanks so much for all your help.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 1 month later...

So I recently recovered a bad update and now have 6.1.7 DSM installed. Seems OK but not too much different to 5.2.

Before I bite the bullet (hopefully not brick it again) what is the benefit with 6.2.3?

Thanks

Link to post
Share on other sites

One thing to consider, do you hibernate the drives?  6.2.3 isn't known to be reliable with hibernation, which is why I've kept my archive box on 6.1.7 but am using 6.2.3 for production data.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.