XPEnology Community

DSM on Qnap NAS

isjpb

Question

Hello,
First, Sorry about my English.

I did install the Xpenology DSM 6.2 version on my Qnap TS-251.
Of course, Native install. Not qnap virtualization station.

Anyone ever installed Xpenology like this? and Did you have same problem?

Last month, I took the TS-251 from my drawer.
Because, The QTS (Qnap system) seemed to do periodic indexing on the HDD...some noise of HDD...
and I used the Synology NAS in my company. So, I prefer the Synology DSM.

So, I installed Xpenology on my TS-251.(DSM version 6.2 DS918+)

Yes, It's not difficult. Perfect instructions  is in this forum.

As you know, NAS is the computer. So When TS-251 is boot start, Just press F2 key to enter BIOS setup.
I could changed the boot sequence in here.
So, I could run the file required for xpenology installation on USB and Installation is complete without some problem.
Even If I installed xpenology, I can re-initialized the Installation of QTS.

However, I have two big problems.

1. Power on again and again....
I can change the Auto Power on/off setting in Qnap Bios and xpenology DSM setting page.
I've disable Auto Power on. But, When I turn off the power (Power Off in DSM), it turns on again immediately. Again and again.

Maybe This problem seems to apply to all xpenology users.

2. Fan Noisy.
Yes, It's Fan Speed problem.
As you know, normal NAS reduces the fan speed when booting for the first time. Therefore, it quickly becomes quiet.
However, Native xpenology on Qnap doesn't seem to have Fan Speed control.

- I've changed all settings (BIOS and DSM setting), And it does not decrease the fan speed.
- I even installed "lm-sensors" on ssh, but it doesn't recognize the 'Controller' at all.
 (I know The role of the 'Controller' monitors the CPU temperature and controls the FAN or LED lights.)
- Maybe, the driver(?) Prepared in synology does not work, or Qnap's controller is not famous, so it is not supported by Linux packages such as lm-sensors.

For about a month, with the help of Google, I fell into a Linux world that I didn't know.
Some experts direct compile proper kernel(?) driver(?)...But I can't.  😭

I can't solve these two problems, so I consider about going back to QTS now.

Does anyone have Xpenology installed and used your Qnap? and resolved fan and power problem?

Thank you~!

6 answers to this question

look here: 

If you can figure out the control registers for your hardware you can recompile the program and set it to run at startup. Most likely you have temp sensor(s) between the drive bays that you need to read and act on. Alternatively just purchase one of these and hook up the chassis fan to it and put the probe close to the drives:

https://www.amazon.com/Diymore-Temperature-Manumotive-Controller-High-Temperature/dp/B0752GMMPJ

3 hours ago, isjpb said:

1. Power on again and again....
I can change the Auto Power on/off setting in Qnap Bios and xpenology DSM setting page.
I've disable Auto Power on. But, When I turn off the power (Power Off in DSM), it turns on again immediately. Again and again.

Maybe This problem seems to apply to all xpenology users.

FYI, xpenology 6.x is a hacked DSM appliance, bound to be used with the original synology kernel (that was differen with 5.x)

so it might be a bigger problem to solve this when its about having diffrent kernel power settings

3 hours ago, isjpb said:

2. Fan Noisy.
Yes, It's Fan Speed problem.
As you know, normal NAS reduces the fan speed when booting for the first time. Therefore, it quickly becomes quiet.
However, Native xpenology on Qnap doesn't seem to have Fan Speed control.

to many controller and custoum solutions to maintain it as additional driver, a decent board can handle the fan's of its own so most people dont need this

my suggestion would be to try dsm 6.1, 6.0, 5.x to find a version that can shut down properly and stays off, the fan can be solved with a add on hardware

or try open media vault, as its a normal linux there is much higher chance to get fan control and shutdown working

https://forum.openmediavault.org/index.php?thread/18410-inatall-openmediavault-on-qnap-ts-251-x86-guide/

Hi All

Did you mamange/solve this problem?
Last year I builded small PC nas based on Xpenology and now I am fan of this solution. 
I have old QNAP TS451 and I decided move it to Xpenology too. Everything went well and now I can use this OS based on DS920+ model with DSM 7.2.1-69057 Update 3.
And as author of this post I have exactly the same issues.

When I shutdown DSM via software then system automatically boot up. I tried different settings in BIOS without succees. I found on this forum that editig grub.cfg could help but I couldn't apply suggested solution as I didn't found that what I supose to change.

After installing lm-sensor I can only see temperatures of CPU cores and nothig more. Command sensor-detect is not reconized. I have no idea what else I can do to have control on fan apart from installing different fan with manual hardware control.

I noticed also that DSM do not support any sound notification (beep on internal speaker). This is not a problem but sometimes could be nice to have some audio warnings.

As post was sent 2 years ago maybe somebody solved already those problems related to QNAP devices???

Edited by Xoxer

Hi, I know that there are posts related to lm-sensors/fancontrol but I would like write it here as I think this is specific problem for QNAP hardware.
I installed lm-sensors and lm-sensors-detect, that are results of those programs:

sensors:

coretemp-isa-0000
Adapter: ISA adapter
Core 0:       +35.0 C  (high = +105.0 C, crit = +105.0 C)
Core 1:       +35.0 C  (high = +105.0 C, crit = +105.0 C)

sensors-detect (edited to skip not needed information):

Found `Fintek F71869A Super IO Sensors'                     Success!
    (address 0x290, driver `f71882fg')
Probing for `National Semiconductor LM78' at 0x290...       Success!
    (confidence 6, driver `lm78')
Now follows a summary of the probes I have just done.
Just press ENTER to continue:

Driver `coretemp':
  * Chip `Intel digital thermal sensor' (confidence: 9)

Driver `f71882fg':
  * ISA bus, address 0x290
    Chip `Fintek F71869A Super IO Sensors' (confidence: 9)

Do you want to overwrite /etc/sysconfig/lm_sensors? (YES/no): y
Copy prog/init/lm_sensors.service to /lib/systemd/system
and run 'systemctl enable lm_sensors.service'
for initialization at boot time.

I have problem with suggestion at the end as I my system can't found lm_sensors.service. What I should do to make it working as my plan is using fancontrol script?

I sorted out both problems by using new BIOS and modify it to enable access to hidden options. So now my QNAP TS415 using bios ver QW37AR36.

Because I did many tests and reinstalled few times DSM I didn't check yet if fancontrol script will work. Currently DSM build in fan control app do not work but fortunately bios offer dynamic smart control depend of cpu temperature. Main issue is solved by bios upgrade - fixed shutdown.

Now I am in position when I can start using DSM for my needs but I would like solve other small issues as well:
- not working power on scheduler

- no sound (buzzer) signals

- will be nice to see temperature on UI instead of calling sensor command

I am noob in linux stuff so I will be glad to get some detailed advices.

Edited by Xoxer