XPEnology Community

WD Lifeguard

smilenkovski

Just to share one positive experience.

I have two xpenology NAS's .One daily driver for Plex. i3 fourth gen GB h81m mb, 16 GB ram updated to 6.2.3 (25426). One of my 5 6TB WD disks has 117 bad sectors. And Dsm was pushing notification very often (twice a day) especially on backup and other hdd intensive work. I found on synology forums that using WD Lifeguard (Windows) can help. Took a hdd in my windows pc, took 9 hours for 6TB hdd. But , no , one week later I hev no annoying notifications any more.

that means the bad sectors got remapped and your disk is still in the process of failing (as often those areas with bad sectors grow larger)

i usually dont trust a disk anymore if it starts to show remapped or bad sectors, marks he usage end for me

so at least have a backup and check all disks (s.m.a.r.t) for remapped for bad secors

Edited by IG-88

Is it a Raid member or a single drive? If it’s not part of a Raid copying 6TB from one drive to another can take some time. But it depends on the filetypes. Thousands of images will take longer than a handful of large videos. And there’s a chance that new bad sectors can slow down or even break the process of copying.