XPEnology Community

HP Microserver Gen8 Esxi USB Passthrough

remylpat

Hi all,

I am trying to find a way to have USB ports of the server available on the XPEnology VM.

I install Esxi v5.5 on the gen8 with Celeron Processeur. I can not see any usb devices on the Esxi

Is there any Bios option to turn ON / OFF

Thanks for your help on this

./Rémy

You have to change the the configuration of your DSM VM with vSphere client. There you can add usb devices.

For me only the 2.0 ports (2 front, 2 back) are currently working. Maybe I should have a look in BIOS to activate the 3.0 ports.

And I think you have to add first an USB-Controller.

You can have a look here for instructions (from point 3):

http://www.v-front.de/2014/11/vmware-silently-adds-native-usb-30.html

This is my personal config with working passthrough.

ESXi_Config.png

What kind of CPU do you have ?

Could we try to compare our Biso settings are the VM setings on the USB controller does not reveal any usb devices plugged.

Would be really appreciate if we can try to compare together the differences we have.

As a matter of difference first I saw you have a Esxi 5.0 mine is 5.5 ..

I also use ESXi 5.5 and the processor G1610T. I only named the VM "Diskstation 5.0".

Do have added the USB-Controller to your VM-configuration?

Then you could plug in an USB device in e.g. front USB and you should be able to add an USB device in the VM settings.

You understand that you have to manually add any new usb device the first time in the vm configuration to get it working in DSM?

Atm I don't have time to boot into BIOS settings.

Yes I have a usb-controller on my VM.

but when I look at the Esx / Configuration Tab / Advanced Settings I have the message : Host does not support passthrough config.

Do you have the same ?

(SORRY CAN NOT ATTACH JPG ON FORUM QUOTA HAS BEEN REACHED)

That's normal. I have the same message there. This is something different I guess...

Look at the link I have posted. Read on from point 3 at section beginning with "The next step is..."

Same way you have added the controller you have to add the single devices.

That is working, I was confusing on adding xhci & adding usb device.

Now I have my terratec soundcard connecte on my XPenology VM.

I need to test but "sounds" great :wink:

Now my concern if you have any advice is what is the good config for HDD

Perhasp I will open a new thread for that as I am using VMDK and not any kind of raid or other.

I will open a thread to share with you guys on Gen8 what design you made with physical disk, fault tolerance, boort on USB or not and how you manage upgrade of DSM with a virtualized Syno and others VM

Thanks for your help and see you on another thread

I think have the same problem:

On a hp microserver Gen8, I have installed ESXI 5.5. , and then I have created a VM with DSM.

The issue is that I cannot use the USB 3.0 ports. The USB 2.0 ports are fine, but the 3.0 won't even power my external HDD.

Now, I've already installed the latest ESXI update, which should have support for USB 3.0 (see http://www.v-front.de/2014/11/vmware-silently-adds-native-usb-30.html) and I've added the xHCI controller, but when I try to connect my USB 3.0 drive to the USB 3.0 port, the HDD won't even power up, and I cannot add it to the DSM VM as a USB device.

If i move the USB3.0 drive to the USB2.0 port, the HDD boots up, I can see & add the drive to DSM.

So my question is:

Is anyone using DSM 5.x in ESXI, on a HP microserver G8, and is able to use the USB 3.0 ports?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, experiencing the same behavior. Using USB 2.0 all works fine, but I am not able to use the USB 3.0 with XPENOLOGY DSM 5.0 as a VM within ESXI 5.5 newest version (Update 2). Anyone got USB 3.0 working within XPENELOGY on ESXI 5.5 based on hp micro server gen8 ?

Update: got it, simple follow this link (already mentioned above):

http://www.v-front.de/2014/11/vmware-si ... sb-30.html

It works now.