XPEnology Community

Installing on a HP ProLiant Gen8 (Celeron 3Ghz) via Mac

SteetieHJ

Previously created bootable USB via a Windows machine with DSM 5.2 and been running fine for years. I want to do a clean install and with Jun's official v1.02b

I've followed the instructions here on creating an image on the USB device but I don't know how to make it bootable? Checking Disk Utility it says Bootable = no (I'm not sure how to update this)

I've currently used dsm916 and updated the grub.cfg but because the disk isn't bootable on the HP machine I get the error "The Non-System Disk Error or Disk Error"

This is the diskutil:

/dev/disk2 (external, physical):

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *32.0 GB    disk2

1:                        EFI NO NAME                 15.7 MB    disk2s1

2:           Linux Filesystem                         31.5 MB    disk2s2

3:        Bios Boot Partition                         4.2 MB     disk2s3

Anyone able to offer some guidance before I go hunting down a windows machine (which I don't have to hand)

I've just created a new loader USB (in windows) & checked it with disk utility in a MACOS VM & it's also showing as non bootable so I think that's a red herring. 

Have you checked the HP's bios settings is set to boot from the USB?

Just now, Dfds said:

I've just created a new loader USB (in windows) & checked it with disk utility in a MACOS VM & it's also showing as non bootable so I think that's a red herring. 

Have you checked the HP's bios settings is set to boot from the USB?

Thanks for checking...

I have done, yes. Everything was working with DSM 5.2 this morning. I wanted a fresh install and on DSM6, there is nothing on the machine I require so re-used the USB and followed the MAC installation instructions but I can't see to get it to boot. Would there be any other settings other that boot from USB I would need to change on the HP machine?

Sorry to bump the thread but I want to give you a better understanding of my setup

• Machine had been running 5.2 no issues. I wanted to have a fresh install using DSM 6
  • I reused the USB stick I had installed with 5.2 (I haven't formatted at all, should I, if so which format?)
  • I haven't wiped or done anything with the hard drives (should I?)
  • The chipset actually is Celeron CPU F1610T @ 2.30Ghz and 8GB RAM
  • USB DriveKey (C:) is number 1 in the boot order. Image here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/yF5HNHdaeL9fSpu4A (it looks like it tries to boot from USB, as the stick flashes orange)
  • I'm using Jun's official v1.02b and editing the grub with the correct vid/pid, serial number for ds3615, my machine mac address and I am doing so using a Mac terminal, all appears correct.
  • When booting the HP machine

Screenshot 2020-05-31 at 11.42.22.png

Edited by SteetieHJ