XPEnology Community

Like Xpenology, QNAP SO porting

aoprea

who knows if exist a port of Qnap SO like xpenology ?

I think sinology has left behind and was competed by Qnap by introducing more multimedia capabilities of their nas systems (see x51, x53, x70, x63, x71 series) ...

it's possible to use same strategy and porting Qnap SO ?

thanks

I really like Synology DSM S.O. - but I am now seriously looking at QNap. Why?

Because of the HUGE difference in hardware spec. Yes, I will end up paying significantly more ... but for more power.

Looking at a DS415+ or a 1515+ but given they use the same processor, which according to folks who have a 415+ and have tested it is incapable of transcoding 1080p on the fly at higher bitrates (something Synology themselves have confirmed with their literature) I don't see that they are really applicable for home power-users.

Plus they don't have an HDMI port either (you have to buy the somewhat for play that...).

Now look at the QNap models - Quad core celeron 2.4Ghz up to i3 3.3Ghz processors, 2-16Gb RAM, HDMI port and capable of transcoding multiple streams simultaneously.... more money, sure - but it's more future-proof and has the potential for a LOT more memory , user-upgradable.

Some users have upgraded their x70's with i7 processors and 16Gb of RAM for a VERY fast NAS.

I'm not trying to bash Synology - far from it, they build high-quality products - but they seem to be stuck with the mindset that home users crave quiet, power-efficient devices

BUT they seem willing to sacrifice horsepower under the hood to give us what ???

That's an area where QNap seems to be targetting more effectively.

and a comparation table:

image_01@2x.png

Just my 2 cents. Qnap are useless. Overpriced hardware (not that Synology is not!). Desktop components in server chassis (even on the high end "Enterprise" models!)

OS on Qnap is wonky at least (would never trust my data with it again).

You want good NAS, use proper hardware (HP, Dell, Lenovo) and put Server 2012 R2 on it! Job done

If a wanted ONLY a Nas be sure i not buy synology or qnap hardware ... i built my self and use many software ( first xpenology, linux, windows, freenas, unraid .... etc)

BUT

we talk here 2 in 1 (nas and htpc ... aka xbmc player)

And in this case qnap is the winner of the year...

I have an older qnap that is running xpenology. I agree QNAP traditionally has had stronger hardware in their boxes (why I went with them over synology the last time), but the SW side is lacking. They have been playing catch-up in many areas to synology in their OS, and their mobile apps (especially for apple) are limited compared to Synology.

I guess it really comes down to how you are going to use it. Great transcoding, but if their mobile app is lacking, what are you going to play it on???

One thing to note, I have seem many on the qnap forums getting the x53 families up to 16GB of memory (even though qnap/intel only say 8GB). While it is "unsupported" there are several posts about it working.

It's horses for course personally I like the Synology DSM and it really comes down to the tasks people expect to perform with their NAS. The Synology system isn't really designed for hard core video streamers it's much more business orientated. For people serious about data storage and business applications it's hard to beat the Synology approach. It also helps delver the power of linux and many open source web technologies etc. to people who have little in the way of linux admin skills (myself included) in a relatively controlled, safe and secure environment.

I wouldn't be surprised if Synology are working on a couple of media orientated devices to supplement the domestic line-up. It's not as if it would be hard for them to add a video card and the required software packages. It's strange that they have taken so long to plug that gap in the market though? They have taken steps in that direction but they failed to deliver what people expect of a media center device.

Maybe I'm biased because I don't have an issue with using other devices to stream from the nas over the network. I have other interests that don't involve transcoding huge media files to massive flat panels in every room of the house.

thre are users who do not want only a nas (eventualy transcondig) , and another box to play,

in these days many user are oriented to using only one box in multimedia features and put nas next to TV and play anything directly to TV through hdmi using xbmc (or anything else).

thre are users who do not want only a nas (eventualy transcondig) , and another box to play,

in these days many user are oriented to using only one box in multimedia features and put nas next to TV and play anything directly to TV through hdmi using xbmc (or anything else).

If you are playing media from the same device that stores it then you don't need transcoding and I would recommend simply hooking a normal PC running XBMC up to your TV and store your videos there. Transcoding is used to convert media to a format which is compatible with a TARGET device. All that being said, Plex Media supports transcoding, its not like Synology doesn't allow you to transcode.

If you are dead-set on using XMBC on your NAS then I suggest reading up on linux compiling and integrating apps with DMS. You will need to compile XBMC with Synology Toolchain, build files & stuff you will need to integrate XBMC into DMS, build a DMS package to handle installing and setting up all this stuff via Package Manager.

The other transcoding use case is that you have your media stored on your NAS, but want to stream it remotely to your phone/tablet device. Depending on media format and device capabilities, you may need to have HW transcoding to be able to do that. This saves the headache of having to pre-download/convert media files prior to going to the gym/etc.

• 4 weeks later...

I played today with firmware recovery for ts-470 from here:

http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Recovery

based on infos from here ( http://reverseengineering.stackexchange ... extraction )

i managed to unpack the firmware

# dd if=F_TS-470_20140519-1.2.8.img bs=512 of=part1 skip=32 count=2160w

# dd if=F_TS-470_20140519-1.2.8.img bs=512 of=part2 skip=4352 count=242304w

# dd if=F_TS-470_20140519-1.2.8.img bs=512 of=part3 skip=488960 count=242304w

# dd if=F_TS-470_20140519-1.2.8.img bs=512 of=part5 skip=973600 count=8304w

# dd if=F_TS-470_20140519-1.2.8.img bs=512 of=part6 skip=990240 count=8688w

# mount -r part2 /mnt/ts2 -o loop

but from now on I do not know what to do

maybe someone with more experience can succeed to porting qnap s.o.

I personally like qnap better than synology. I like qmanager and qmobile more than synology equivalent iOS apps. Virtualization and the ability to have download station to use a proxy (and only the download station) are unique features of Qnap.

Would love to be able to run qnap on a stronger hardware with ecc ram support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curently evaluating Synology high end RS3614 versus QNAP TS-1280U for small archive role (100TB).

Overall, QNAP feels more involved in enterprise class due stronger processing power, larger disk bays, SAS support and dual backend.

The last one also means that it's much more capacity driven (up to 4x compared to Synology).

On other side, Synology is more power efficient and very carefully pick battles in enterprise arena.

Inclusion of HA capability in DSM5.0 is something QNAP still does not plan to support.

Big no-no for anyone even remotely interested in building well treated NAS which does not cost as EMC's or IBM's filer compartment.

Did I menion price ? Oh, yes, Synology is appx.30-35% cheaper on basic investment and similar on upgrades/spares and accesories.

• 2 weeks later...
I played today with firmware recovery for ts-470 from here:

http://wiki.qnap.com/wiki/Firmware_Recovery

based on infos from here ( http://reverseengineering.stackexchange ... extraction )

i managed to unpack the firmware

# dd if=F_TS-470_20140519-1.2.8.img bs=512 of=part1 skip=32 count=2160w

# dd if=F_TS-470_20140519-1.2.8.img bs=512 of=part2 skip=4352 count=242304w

# dd if=F_TS-470_20140519-1.2.8.img bs=512 of=part3 skip=488960 count=242304w

# dd if=F_TS-470_20140519-1.2.8.img bs=512 of=part5 skip=973600 count=8304w

# dd if=F_TS-470_20140519-1.2.8.img bs=512 of=part6 skip=990240 count=8688w

# mount -r part2 /mnt/ts2 -o loop

but from now on I do not know what to do

maybe someone with more experience can succeed to porting qnap s.o.

Look here:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4226

No chance for porting without re-write qnap init scripts.

I'm too stupid for this :smile: