XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Installing XPEnology in VirtualBox

Andy928

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Stanley,

That is not frozen, the operating system has booted, you now need to use Synology Assistant application to search for Diskstation, can be done from any PC connected to the same network, or from the same PC that Virtualbox is installed.

Setch

• 2 weeks later...

For those of you that use VirtualBox installation, how is the performance of your DSM4.2?

I have Windows 7, Virtualbox, Intel i3 3225 CPU, but 2GB of RAM. 4 x 2TB hard drive, + 1 WD Black for OS.

i have 1 x 250GB virtual disk image (VDK) on the WD Black drive as the first installation volume for my DSM4.2. Then I created 4 VMDK for each physocal disks and added them to the VirtualBox. These 4 x 2TB disks then got put into RAID5 in DSM4.2, and everything is working fine, but I can NOT exceed 20mb/s transfer rate to the DSM4.2 .

Over a gigbit connection, I have a real DS413 that can do 70mb/s. Does anyone have slow disk under VirtualBox?

For those of you that use VirtualBox installation, how is the performance of your DSM4.2?

I have Windows 7, Virtualbox, Intel i3 3225 CPU, but 2GB of RAM. 4 x 2TB hard drive, + 1 WD Black for OS.

i have 1 x 250GB virtual disk image (VDK) on the WD Black drive as the first installation volume for my DSM4.2. Then I created 4 VMDK for each physocal disks and added them to the VirtualBox. These 4 x 2TB disks then got put into RAID5 in DSM4.2, and everything is working fine, but I can NOT exceed 20mb/s transfer rate to the DSM4.2 .

Over a gigbit connection, I have a real DS413 that can do 70mb/s. Does anyone have slow disk under VirtualBox?

I had it running under WHS 2011 on a Core 2 Quad with 4GB of ram and 2x2TB Raid 0 and Intel SSD for the OS drive. I had the VM running on the SSD and the data on the Raid 0 and couldn't get it to crack 15megabytes per second. I then ran it native and it's saturating my ethernet link. I think the problem is how virtualbox is handling the network bridging so I just gave up on it as a VM for performance in my case.

Running 3202 in Virtualbox - initial configuration using 1 1TB VDI file. I wanted to add a 2nd and 3rd VDI, but when I power down, add the disks, and power back on, the DSM says there is no volume and makes me start from scratch. Why is this?

Running 3202 in Virtualbox - initial configuration using 1 1TB VDI file. I wanted to add a 2nd and 3rd VDI, but when I power down, add the disks, and power back on, the DSM says there is no volume and makes me start from scratch. Why is this?

Solved my own problem - wasn't shutting down the VM properly.

The DSM file transfer speed is pretty slow in Virtual box and the DOWNLOAD STATION needs heavy CPU power when the download speed more than 5MB/s (This happens to my G2020, it takes 100% loading when reach 9-10MB/s)

I have tried to run DSM 4.2 in Esxi 5.1 & Win Server 2012 - Hyper-V.

Esxi - File transfer speed improves a lot 50-60MB/s but the DOWNLOAD STATION also takes heavy CPU resource.

Hyper-V - I cannot see any improvement about the file transfer speed, and DOWNLOAD STATION eats heavy power too.

• 6 months later...

Hi,

I'm trying to install XPEnology with VirtualBox, but I'm having problems - I get as far as finding it in Synology assistant, however it has a different MAC to what I am expecting (i.e. it shows 00223208D63C rather than 00113208D62A). I've quadruple checked, and VirtualBox is definitely set with the ...63C address.

It gets as far as setting up the network, then falls over with an error and I think it's to do with the MAC address problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm trying to get this working to use my File Server as a Time Machine - the PC runs windows 7, and Apple's Time Machine doesn't allow you to backup to network drives - but DSM has something that lets it be used as a Time Machine.

Hi,

I'm trying to install XPEnology with VirtualBox, but I'm having problems - I get as far as finding it in Synology assistant, however it has a different MAC to what I am expecting (i.e. it shows 00223208D63C rather than 00113208D62A). I've quadruple checked, and VirtualBox is definitely set with the ...63C address.

It gets as far as setting up the network, then falls over with an error and I think it's to do with the MAC address problem. Does anyone have any ideas?

I'm trying to get this working to use my File Server as a Time Machine - the PC runs windows 7, and Apple's Time Machine doesn't allow you to backup to network drives - but DSM has something that lets it be used as a Time Machine.

I've exactly the same problem. Synology assistant recognize DiskStation but with the other mac address. It exits with error on network configuration. :cry::cry::cry:

Hi,

I've exactly the same problem. Synology assistant recognize DiskStation but with the other mac address. It exits with error on network configuration. :cry::cry::cry:

I'm going to assume you didn't find a way around it? :sad:

I had this problem.

Use the record function in Virtualbox to see the reported MAC adresses

wyuly65.png

Use the first mac!

Or use IMG editor

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1082&start=260#p7938

Download from here

• 4 weeks later...

I had it running under WHS 2011 on a Core 2 Quad with 4GB of ram and 2x2TB Raid 0 and Intel SSD for the OS drive. I had the VM running on the SSD and the data on the Raid 0 and couldn't get it to crack 15megabytes per second. I then ran it native and it's saturating my ethernet link. I think the problem is how virtualbox is handling the network bridging so I just gave up on it as a VM for performance in my case.

Hi !

Same problem here, with practically the same configuration (Amd Fusion 2 core 1,6 Ghz, 4Go DDR3, 4x2To + 1x500 GO at 7200 rpm for OS Windows 8).

With a gigabit installation, I not exceeded 20 mo/s with a CPU charge under 20% :/

Do you find a solution without migrate to ESXI ?

Thanks !

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for this tutorial and your work to all

I followed this tutorial, the soft "synology Assistant" detected a diskstation well but I have a problem with the IP address, it's like 169.254.164.175, obviously I can not attach it because I am in a scope like 192.168.0.xxx.

I do not know where's the problems.

At startup I have DHCP errors

FYI this is the first time I use VirtualBox so be indulgent!

Thanks for your help

• 3 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I'm trying to setup a XPEnology VM under VirtualBox. It boots fine, I have access to the Web Assistant UI, but it fails to install after this. It starts to format the synoboot.vdi, then error, forward your telnet port etc... I have to copy a fresh version of synoboot.vdi each time, otherwise I have an error 22.

EDIT : my bad, the virtual hard drive I've created wasn't large enough. With a 32gb VDI, it works.