XPEnology Community

[SOLVED] Installing XPEnology in VirtualBox

Andy928

Now that was an informative post to read on about the installation of XPEnology in VirtualBox. I was just going through the images and really appreciate the way you have explained things here in a brief manner about the installation. The screenshots were very helpful to know the process.

Louri

Windows 8 transfer

Hi, after some startup noob failures I have now a 4.3 xpenology Vbox running with no problems.

I managed to set the real MAC address, static IP, ddns from dyndns, rsync setup.

Its main purpose is for a rsync backup over internet from a Qnap box, so for now lan speed is not a concern.

hardware:

Asus P5Q

Pentium DC e6300 2.8

4Gb DDR2

1 NIC onboard Gb

1 NIC PCI realtek Gb

2x500 SATA

2x120 IDE raid

virtual machine is set with one cpu core, 2gb memory, 400gb dynamic hd, realtek NIC bridged to virtualbox host

some useful info based in my setup

.if your VM can't get IP from DHCP you have to set the MAC network address with the first one that appears at the VM Startup (list of four)

.if you want to use the real MAC address of your NIC and you can't read the vendor file with ext2fsd with a windows 64bits try ext2isf

.if you want to use a static IP to setup ddns and configure your router portforwarding manually (my router is not listed and couldn't setup with upnp), leave the bridge (MAC bridge miniport) with automatic dhcp address and setup a static IP in your XPenology network settings

Thank you all for the info of this tutorial

• 3 weeks later...

I am trying to set up a VM with raw disk access in Windows 8. I get a VERR_ACCESS_DENIED when I try to add the mapped drives. Perhaps I have not understood the instructions correctly but do the drives need to be mapped and added as vmdks? I would assume so like the ESXI builds. When I follow the instructions as listed in the OP, I get a connection error and diskstation is unable to take the bridged IP address.

I had the same problem, run VirtualBox in Administrator :wink:

Did you have to remove (offline) the drives in windows before they would be recognized? Also, do the drives need to be formatted in any special way before they can be attached?

I also seem to not be getting past the connection problem. Whether I use a bridge connection or not, synology assistant fails to correctly detect the VM's IP address. This only happens after it installs the software and says the DSM is rebooting. I get the grub 22 error causing me to shut down the VM, recopy the synoboot.vdi file and restart the VM. The synology assistant is still running during this time.

Your drive should be unmounted by Windows.

For the Connection, you can use bridge connection without problem, I think the problem is the MAC adress, use this adress : 00223208D63C

Gonna try this now. Do I still need to set up a dynamic drive in addition to the raw mapped drives? What is the ideal size? Thanks for your help so far!!

Edit: Solved, looks like I missed a critical part of the instruction which was to set up a dynamic drive in addition to the physically mapped drives. Will now proceed to commence testing!

After finally getting through an initial painful data scrubbing that lasted 24 hours for 4x2TB drives with SHR, my intial testing has file transfers at about 50-55 Mb/sec on average. Not sure what I can do to up those numbers. Download station is able to fully achieve the 1.8Mbps download rate for nzbs. Pleased so far and will continue to do more testing. Now, if only there was a way to get WOL working and a restart without a Grub 22 error. Currently using Virtualbox v4.3.8 on Windows x64.

. Now, if only there was a way to get WOL working and a restart without a Grub 22 error. Currently using Virtualbox v4.3.8 on Windows x64.

I fixed the Grub22 by following the instructions here http://www.wijngaard.org/virtual-synology-with-dsm-4-3/

Specifically around the unchecking the unchecking of "‘Create a Synology Hybrid RAID (SHR) volume after installation’." in the Synology Assistant when setting up the system (Setup section, point 5) and the copying of the vdi file back into the VM folder (Setup section, point 7) following the initial Grub22 error.

You then create the volumes in DSM.

Worked for me.

I think I may have overstated the grub22 error. I followed the same guide and got past the first grub22 error. Unfortunately in the middle of migrating data, I got a volume crash claiming two of the hard drives had crashed. They are brand new drives so this was curious. I am now in the process of chkdsk on both the supposed crashed drives to see what went wrong. Thank god I had backups of everything. I only shut down the VM yesterday but saved a snapshot. I understand that there is no recovery from a crashed volume except through synology support. I'm not worried about data loss right now, I just don't want this to happen again when it is much harder to have backups.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know why, for me, when I get to Step 10 I cannot see the message "Booting the kernel"?

The VM starts, and can see the boot sequence, but it seems to stall/fail and never reaches the "booting to kernel" message. The machine running the VirtualBox is a Dell Dimension E521 with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ processor and 4GB RAM.

I've also posted a question on my issue in a new thread here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2506

Does anyone know why, for me, when I get to Step 10 I cannot see the message "Booting the kernel"?

The VM starts, and can see the boot sequence, but it seems to stall/fail and never reaches the "booting to kernel" message. The machine running the VirtualBox is a Dell Dimension E521 with an AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4400+ processor and 4GB RAM.

No need to double post. Are you using the beta files? I found this guide better but used 2GB as memory for the VM instead http://www.wijngaard.org/virtual-synology-with-dsm-4-3/. Do you plan on using any physical disks or is your plan to only test using a VM before switching to a dedicated device?

Thanks Maelstromm - appreciate your time.

I took a look at the link you included, and started again from the beginning. I am still getting to the same point and then get a failure.

It's at the point when you boot the VM for the first time during the setup. The VM loads once pressing the "Start" button in VirtualBox, and you start to see it booting. Then it just stops at "Kernel panic - not syncing: attempted to kill init!" and sits there a while. VirtualBox then displays a message saying the VM execution has been terminated. The boot never reaches the prompt "Booting to kernel" so I cannot proceed.

Do you or anyone know what this could be please and how to resolve it?

I'm using all the files as in the link you provided, no betas. I'd like to test this out first in a VM state and depending on how that goes, probably dedicate that PC to do the job going forward.

I think virtualization is enabled in the BIOS as I have another VM NAS appliance that I was testing (but decided against) and that was able to run very well.

I've just changed the Linux options... I tried Debian 64bit, "Other Linux 64bit", Ubuntu 64bit, Linux 2.4 64bit, and a couple of the other 64bit options available. Each one fails at the same place. I've also re-downloaded/converted the IMG/VDI file and tried previous versions - but no joy. :sad:

-- Any other ideas/advice please??

Is it possible to monitor Disk Smart Status through VirtiualBox? I really want to use Windows 7 as host, and use VirtualBox for Xpenology, then Link the hard drive to the Virtual machine, but i need a way to monitor the smart status.

Hi Maelstromm - I am running the virtualbox under the system administrator account and the IO-APIC settings are turned on. I wonder if it is the processor in this case causing the issue?

It is likely. Have you just tried creating a 32bit VM with any other OS and see if you run into Kernel panic?

@ maelstromm

This is what I don't get. I can get, for example, both 32bit and 64bit versions of Windows to run on the VirtualBox instance I have. I've also had another 64bit version of Linux (running another free NAS appliance I was testing). So it does seem as though the machine is capable.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...
  • 1 month later...