XPEnology Community

Best setup for Plex transcoding

Diwad

Hey guys. I recently bought Qnap 212p, but it is not as powerful as I need.

Now I am planning to build my own machine with DSM onboard.

Most important thing for me is high bitrate 1080p transcoding (about 10-20GB mkv).

Will Asrock Q1900 do the job? Or should I invest in something like G3285?

Q1900DC-ITX or G3285+H81M-ITX ?

The difference in TDP is quite big (10W vs 53W), but G3285 is about 2x more powerful than j1900. The question is if J1900 can play thos 1080p mkv files without any problem.

Do those mobos work well with xpenology?

Thanks for the anowers in advance;)

I recently built an Xpenology system from an older Core 2 Quad 2.83Ghz system with 8GB RAM. When transcoding Audio and Video (confirmed) on my largest MKV (22GB) it was hitting 80-90% but working well. I would not bother with the atom, especially since with plex's shared nature, you may have to run 2 simultaneous transcodes.

Also TDP is maximum power to be dissipated, not the minimum nor typical consumed. Add in the chipset and HDD's, I don't think your real world power consumption will differ much.

I recently built an Xpenology system from an older Core 2 Quad 2.83Ghz system with 8GB RAM. When transcoding Audio and Video (confirmed) on my largest MKV (22GB) it was hitting 80-90% but working well. I would not bother with the atom, especially since with plex's shared nature, you may have to run 2 simultaneous transcodes.

Also TDP is maximum power to be dissipated, not the minimum nor typical consumed. Add in the chipset and HDD's, I don't think your real world power consumption will differ much.

I think Plex will take all/most of the available CPU for transcoding. On the faster CPU the process will just finish sooner.

I have the Q1900-ITX you're talking about and yes it can transcode ONE stream of 1080p 20mbps. But if you want it to do more than 1, it won't be powerful enough. I tested it on a 14gb 1080p movie file onto a Nexus 7 with forced transcode(subtitles) and an ipad 3(transcode down to 4mbps quality).

It works with one device, but once the second one starts, it stutters and lags behind.