XPEnology Community

Posting this so others can see the dangers and hopefully someone can help to see if this can be recovered.

I tried to updated to 6.2.3-25423 today. Updated from the the synology itself. Appeared to all be working up until the restart. Once it tried to restart nothing loaded. The only way it has any life is the below steps

Im able to find it on the synology finder and ping it but only if i select reinstall from Juan1.03b loader. I get the option to migrate but when i select the latest package to install it looks like its completing, restarts, but then nothing again until i choose reinstall from Juan1.03b loader

Ive tried both option to migrate..

Any advice? It cant be that bricked if im getting some sort of life here. The finder shows it to be on 6.2.3-25423

Im at a complete loss at this point and cant really afford to loose the data on there

For all you out there wanting the latest update... BE Advised!

If you cannot afford to lose the data, why were you upgrading?  No backup? At least test using a spare disk?

Anyway, does your system support another drive? If so, you can just install clean and then attach your data drives as long as they did not get overwritten by your upgrade procedure.

1. Remove your data disks, get a third drive that has no data on it and do an initial install with loader 1.03b and DSM 6.2.3.  If you have difficulty with a basic 6.2.3 install on the clear install, at least you can troubleshoot and fix it without risking your data.
  2. Once DSM boots normally, do NOT create a Storage Pool or Volume.  Just make sure DSM is booting and working then shut it down.
  3. Attach your data disks.  It is important that the drive you just did the initial install on remains as drive #1 (or the lowest-numbered port).  The data disks you add should be #2 and #3 if your sig is accurate.
  4. Boot up and your volume and data should be accessible.
  5. You'll need to "Fix the System Partition" to overwrite DSM on the array disks. As a result any DSM customization you may have made will be lost.  If you did a DSS backup of your DSM settings you can re-import it and at least those items (user accounts, etc) will be restored. If you had complex folder perms they may be lost.  Packages will need to be reinstalled.
  6. Make certain everything is green in Storage Manager.  If you want to get rid of the extra drive, shut down DSM and remove the disk.  Boot back up. No other action required.
Edited by flyride

5 hours ago, flyride said:

If you cannot afford to lose the data, why were you upgrading?  No backup? At least test using a spare disk?

Anyway, does your system support another drive? If so, you can just install clean and then attach your data drives as long as they did not get overwritten by your upgrade procedure.

1. Get a third drive that has no data on it and do an initial install with loader 1.03b and DSM 6.2.3.  If you have difficulty with a basic 6.2.3 install too, at least you can troubleshoot and fix it without risking your data.
  2. Once DSM boots normally, do NOT create a Storage Pool or Volume.  Just make sure DSM is booting and working then shut it down.
  3. Attach your data disks.  It is important that the drive you just did the initial install on remains as drive #1 (or the lowest-numbered port).  The data disks you add should be #2 and #3 if your sig is accurate.
  4. Boot up and your volume and data should be accessible.
  5. You'll need to "Fix the System Partition" to overwrite DSM on the array disks. As a result any DSM customization you may have made will be lost.  If you did a DSS backup of your DSM settings you can re-import it and at least those items (user accounts, etc) will be restored. If you had complex folder perms they may be lost.  Packages will need to be reinstalled.
  6. Make certain everything is green in Storage Manager.  If you want to get rid of the extra drive, shut down DSM and remove the disk.  Boot back up. No other action required.

Thank you. I will try this. 

Im assuming I need to do the whole loader process again (new Usb, pid/vid) is that correct? im pretty sure they are setup with Raid 1 if that makes any diff.

Technically, 6.2.1/6.2.2 break drivers in 1.03b.  6.2.3 now allows Jun's native drivers to work again, which makes it compatible with a lot more hardware.

extra.lzma (recent compiles of drivers) as posted here applies when there is a need for drivers not originally compiled in the loader, or if there are incompatibilities with your hardware and those drivers (i915 drivers seem to be particularly problematic).  Generally not an issue for plain vanilla Intel stuff.

I just corresponded this morning with someone who upgraded an Optiplex 790 to 6.2.3 with no added drivers and no issues.  I believe you should get a clean install working before you make any other decisions.

If you are trying to do a clean install it won't work unless you follow my directions.  The new drive MUST be the first drive.  And you should not have any other drives in the system, so it should not ask to migrate.

In the upgrade thread, there are two reports for old Dell Optiplex:

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/29401-dsm-623-25426/?do=findComment&comment=148303

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/29401-dsm-623-25426/?do=findComment&comment=148305

Yes, I mean exactly that.  The new drive must be plugged into the first port.  When you add in the array drives they must be plugged into the second and third ports.  This is clearly listed in the post, I don't know why you are asking me to confirm again what is already posted.

If you were asked to migrate and it was the only drive in the system, you have used this drive with DSM before.  Clear the partition structure using another PC before trying to install.

on the usb loader or the drives? Ive been Nuking the drives (Dariks). I get the option to install DSM for the first time but once it requires a reboot it wont load. It fails to boot to the dsm welcome page.

Just to make sure i have the right drive, I should plug it into the Black which is Sata 1 correct?

My Red drives were in 0 and 1 before all this. 

Blue is 0

Black is 1

White 2

White 3

image.png.7cab19c55f1904cbbb54f6544c7d60c9.png

Edited by syno406
add info

12 minutes ago, syno406 said:

on the usb loader or the drives?

Just to make sure i have the right drive, I should plug it into the Black which is Sata 1 correct?

I don't understand the first question.  The second question makes me nervous about your understanding of where your data is and what you are doing.

If you are going to try and do a clean install and then add your data back in... the drive that is new, that has no data on it, should be in the first port/port #0/blue according to your picture. Your data drives should not be connected at all.

Once it is up and running, you can add your data drives on any of the other three ports.

ok nuking them again. Will plug (nuked drive) in Port 0. I did do that before. Had 2 free drives so tested in 0 and port 1. The problem was that when dsm asked to reboot it never came back to dsm.

I understood you correctly. Whats throwing me off is on a clean install something is preventing it from booting to dsm after the required reboot. 

Just wanted to say thank you for guiding me here. Was able to install on a clean drive but for whatever reason once it installs, it says rebooting but it doesnt come up after it reboots. Its also not found in the assistant app once the reboot finishes. 

Are there any other options here? Ive tried this process on 2 drives with the same results. 

I'm afraid there has to be an installation error somewhere.  You were working with 6.2.2 so there isn't any reason your hardware cannot be supported.  And there is a posted example of a successful upgrade from someone with your identical hardware.  I'd go over the process very carefully and make sure nothing is being missed.  You should feel confident experimenting since your data drives are safely away from the process.

If you do think your hardware is causing problems for some reason, first try a different USB flash drive (and update VID/PID accordingly) and consider ordering a Intel CT PCIe NIC for $20 to make sure there isn't anything weird happening with your network hardware.

You keep asking questions that I JUST answered that make me think you aren't willing or able to follow the steps.

If you do a clean install, your data drives are NOT in the system. You add them after the install and step #5 overwrites the broken DSM install they have now. Therefore it doesn't matter what version they are on, which is the whole point.

Given that you are having trouble with the install in the first place, I strongly suggest you follow the steps and get ANY DSM install working before you do anything else.

Same results with a new usb. Will try to get ahold of a new drive tomorrow.

What’s leading me to believe something is wrong with the drives is that although the status shows not installed. One drive shows 6.2.3 by the version and the other drive shows not installed but 6.2.2 by version. Does that mean they weren’t nuked properly? That is literally the only thing I can think of at this point. Maybe the nuke isn’t enough.