XPEnology Community

XPEnology on a HP ProLiant DL380e Gen8 Server

Zsolo

Hello All,

First of all, thank you all the effort what you put to this project.

I bought a HP ProLiant DL380e Gen8 Server for NAS. This version can hold 14pcs of 3,5" drives and has a HP Smart Array P420 Controller. My original plan was to create a HW level Raid 5 array from 3TB disks and install the DSM on it.

...but unfortunately the DSM installer does not find the array during the installation.

Is there any trick, tip or workaround to make it happen?

Thank you in advance!

for one you would need additional driver as extra.lzma (you can open this with 7zip, the file that needs to be there is hpsa.ko)

also its best to set the p420 in non-raid or hba mode

afair that can be done in the ssa utility, reset raid configuration and then choose hba mode, you can google it or look on youtube, there should be detailed information

i can't remember that we had someone doing it and using the hpsa.ko driver successfully

most people go with a cheap 9211-8i (reflashed oem clone) with IT firmware, it has two sas connectors so you should be able to connect the backplane of the server

i guess you used 3617? (918+ needs 4th gen intel and that model seems to have only ivy bridge)

you can use this extra.lzma for 3615/3617 for testing

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 11:50 PM, IG-88 said:

for one you would need additional driver as extra.lzma (you can open this with 7zip, the file that needs to be there is hpsa.ko)

also its best to set the p420 in non-raid or hba mode

afair that can be done in the ssa utility, reset raid configuration and then choose hba mode, you can google it or look on youtube, there should be detailed information

i can't remember that we had someone doing it and using the hpsa.ko driver successfully

most people go with a cheap 9211-8i (reflashed oem clone) with IT firmware, it has two sas connectors so you should be able to connect the backplane of the server

i guess you used 3617? (918+ needs 4th gen intel and that model seems to have only ivy bridge)

you can use this extra.lzma for 3615/3617 for testing

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/

Thank you for your reply!

I'm an absolute beginner so I'm not fully understand what should I do.

My friend already created the necessary USB stick for me, how can I add this extra driver package to it?

I'll solve to switch to HBA mode - already checked it

Put in your boot stick into your Windows PC and check, if the second partition of it gets a drive letter. If yes - you can simply rename the extra.lzma (for example: extra.lzma.bak) and copy @IG-88‘s modified extra.lzma on it. If the partition doesn’t show up, check this tutorial for assigning drive letters to your stick:

• Like 1

• 5 months later...
8 hours ago, Zsolo said:

is there any refreshed driver pack or something what I have to consider?

no dsm 6.2.3 would be and the drivers from the thread above would be still the way to go

id suggest reading a little before starting

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/83-faq-start-here/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/29872-tutorial-mount-boot-stick-partitions-in-windows-edit-grubcfg-add-extralzma/https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12422-xpenology-tool-for-windows-x64/

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7973-tutorial-installmigrate-dsm-52-to-61x-juns-loader/

• Like 1

我已经测试过惠普DL380p Gen8,将阵列卡更换成LSI 9205-8i有助于解决这个问题,但是不幸的是,Loader 1.03无法支持这台服务器的CPU,所以要使用裸机安装只能使用1.02引导,这意味着裸机安装只能使用DSM6.1,或者如果不计性能损失你也可以用ESXi直通阵列卡来解决这个问题。

I already tested HP DL380p Gen8. Changing the array card to LSI 9205-8i could help to solve this problem, but unfortunately, Loader 1.03 cannot support the CPU of this server, that means you can only use Loader 1.02 with DSM6.1 in bare metal installation. Or if you don't care about the performance loss, ESXi pass-through could be a good solution.

On 11/6/2020 at 7:19 AM, ChristianSwift said:

Loader 1.03 cannot support the CPU of this server

no that not the problem for sure, it might be about CSM mode in UEFI bios, it needs to be switched on and you are supposed to use the non uefi usb boot device

the base drivers on 1.03b from the loader are more or less the same so if its working with 1.02b then my guess is CSM

On 11/6/2020 at 7:21 AM, ChristianSwift said:

替换extra.lzma是无效的!该阵列卡的驱动并不在其中

also please keep non english to the appropriate section of the forum

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Ok, So I really need some help with this. I have an HP DL 380 G8. I have set the controller to HBA mode and confirmed. I am using 3617 and the the correct loader. I can get to where Its trying to install however, it will not see the HDDs. I see how to fix this would be to copy IG-88s extra.lzma and good to go. This is not the case. I lost the abilty to find the server on boot. I have tested this and if i leave the org. extra.lzma it finds it, with IG-88s it does not. But I also understand that all i need from the test lzma is the hpsa.ko.  I can open with 7zip and extract this from the test lzma. But how in the heck do I add it to the org. lzma. I cannot find a way to do this in 7zip. Totally lost now. 

Any help would be great. I have read so much trying to figure this out i am not confused on what to do next. 

• 4 weeks later...

I was able to install a HBA card and get it running. However on the HP ProLiant DL380p Gen8, if anything it in a PCI-e slot, two of the fans run at like 40% non stop. So it will not settle down and is drawing unneeded power.  

My thought is IG-88s swap extra.lzma is missing the needed drivers for the nic. I have not clue how to fix that. I have a second Gen8 that I'm testing different extra.lzma's and everything I can think of. I will post if i figure anything out. 

Edited by WeezyMike
  • Thanks 1

@bearcat  That statement was for the internal p420 RAID controller on the DL380p Gen8. I do not know what IR mode is. However following a few guides online I was able to use the HP SPP disk to boot into the raid controller. Using  "hpssacli controller slot=0 modify Hbamode=on forced" and then confirmed that the controller was in HBA mode, also show in POST. 

When I use my PCI-e LSI 9211-8i HBA card, I have no issues with the install or running DSM. However after some reading I have found that if ANYTHING is in a PCI-e slot on the server it will spin up two fans baseline to 35-45%. makes a massive racket and wasteful power usage.

When I use the p420i controller in HBA mode, everything seems to be installing as expected however, the install will not see any HDDs on the array. If I'm understanding things correctly this is due to the hpsa.ko driver not being present in Xpenology. When trying to use IG-88's extra.lzma, I will get the boot screen saying to go find the server but NOTHING ever shows up on network. I have checked my router and it never even pulls an IP. So it breaks something. 

THANK YOU for the time to try to help me figure this out! 

@WeezyMike Let's see if I get this right ;-) (using some quick Google&Paste) if I'm "way off" someone feel free to jump in.

HBA = Host Bus Adapter= device that plugs into your computer's bus and allows it to talk to hard drives.

It may or may not provide RAID, acceleration, or other such features.

IR mode is in whatever raid formats the HBA supports.

Some allow you to present drives individually as JBODs or raid0 with one drive each, but if you are going to do that,

it makes more sense to flash to IT, since the firmware is smaller and more efficient (supposedly...)

IT mode stands for "initiator target". It presents each drive individually to the host.

This mode essentially disables the RAID functionality, and is usually used for JBOD / OS control (think XPEnology/FreeNAS/unRAID / etc) of the individual disks.

Usually, to change beween IR and IT mode, a new firmware has to be flashed to the HBA.

I modified the original extra.lzma by addig the hpsa.ko file. Supprise, it did not work..  Simillar reaction from the picky diva (thats my server lol) when you swap the file whit the rpovided one above, so i'm gona by an LSI card..

If someone can insert the hpsa.ko file whit a diffrent method, please let me know.

Here is the modified file if someone want to burn a few hours..

probably-gonna-work_extra.lzma

21 hours ago, WeezyMike said:

My thought is IG-88s swap extra.lzma is missing the needed drivers for the nic.

you can open the extra.lzma with 7zip and check rc.modules and the *.ko files in "modules"

HPE uses broadcom or intel and both are there

you can also use iLO's virtual com port to check you the serial console using putty, that would give you a hint about whats going on

6 hours ago, WeezyMike said:

However I would like to use the internal p420 RAID controller that is integrated.

i tested the hpsa.ko driver with a p410 lately, the p410 can only use raid mode so i created a raid0 and raid5 to test if its working and it did, so maybe start with that

in theory the p420 can be switched to hba mode and in theory the driver should work with that too but as the p410 does not support that, i could not test this mode

6 hours ago, WeezyMike said:

If I'm understanding things correctly this is due to the hpsa.ko driver not being present in Xpenology.

just don't assume things when you can test it -> see above, check fot the *.ko and in rc.modules - it is there (just the basic version form the kernel)

so if something goes south you would need to check by serial console to pin it

i cant do anything as i dont have a p420 to test with

1 hour ago, RGazda said:

I modified the original extra.lzma by addig the hpsa.ko file.

where did you get thsi or how did you create this hpsa.ko?

1 hour ago, RGazda said:

Here is the modified file if someone want to burn a few hours..

if you want to know how to mod the extra.lzma you might need to read this

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/7187-how-to-build-and-inject-missing-drivers-in-jun-loader-102a/

1 hour ago, RGazda said:

If someone can insert the hpsa.ko file whit a diffrent method, please let me know.

just to check if its working or not you can copy the *.ko file todisk and load the driver manually with insmod

but the driver is working (at least in raid mode)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/36135-how-to-install-on-hp-dl380-g7/?do=findComment&comment=186543

use serial cable or iLO's virtual com port to check whats going on when booting the system, the only way to really know whats going on

• 2 months later...

https://wrgms.com/synologys-secret-telnet-password/

You've probably tried telneting to your NAS. Maybe you've even tried opening the case and hacking the serial port, only to discover that you don't have the root password. The DS Assistant password doesn't work, and you exhausted all obvious guesses - blank, synopass, synology, password, admin, root, etc.
Bonus tip: if you're curious how exactly the password is generated, here's the gist:

1st character = month in hexadecimal, lower case (1=Jan, ... , a=Oct, b=Nov, c=Dec)
    2-3 = month in decimal, zero padded and starting in 1 (01, 02, 03, ..., 11, 12)
    4 = dash
    5-6 = day of the month in hex (01, 02 .., 0A, .., 1F)
    7-8 = greatest common divisor between month and day, zero padded. This is always a number between 01 and 12.

So, let's say today is October 15, the password would be: a10-0f05 (a = month in hex, 10 = month in dec, 0f = day in hex, 05 = greatest divisor between 10 and 15).

Edited by IG-88