XPEnology Community

Installing on a HP ProLiant DL360e Gen8

charliescar616

cpu? from the hpe specs it seems to be ivy bridge, to old for 918+ (loader 1.04b)

loader version and type?

i guess  you will have to use 1.03b 3615 or 3617 (dsm 6.2) and keep in mind that it will not work as uefi, it needs csm/legacy mode

you can test with loader 1.02b (dsm 6.1),that one will work uefi and csm

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

43 minutes ago, charliescar616 said:

Do i need Intel nics for it to work?

not when you do it the right way

45 minutes ago, charliescar616 said:

HPE NC365T 4-port Ethernet

that is a intel based card

hpe has the intern 4port adapter as "HP Ethernet 1Gb 4-port 366i Adapter" in the specs and from vendor id (8086) thats intel

• Like 1

Thank you this did work using the older version. thanks for your help. I have now come into another issue however, it is saying there are no drives connected to the system, this is wrong i have in fact 6x 900GB sas drives?

they are however going through a raid card but are each there own volume, this worked in freenas which uses ZFS. 

Do i need a HBA card in order to get the software to see the drives?

Kind Regards,

Charlie.

2 hours ago, charliescar616 said:

I have now come into another issue however, it is saying there are no drives connected to the system, this is wrong i have in fact 6x 900GB sas drives?

they are however going through a raid card but are each there own volume, this worked in freenas which uses ZFS. 

Do i need a HBA card in order to get the software to see the drives?

at least you need a driver for the controller (you did not mention!!!) you are using and there are limits to this, also you loose important functionality when only defining every disk as a single raid set to emulate hba behavior on a raid controller and it will be extremely difficult to to find and replace a not properly working disk, removing/replacing the wrong will result in a broken raid set, a situation that most users can't handle to repair

did you read the tutorial? the part about drivers aka extra.lzma?

its suggested to use a lsi sas based card in IT mode, that way you might be able to find a proper cable from controller to your backplane

LSI SAS 9211-8i and reflashed oem versions are cheap to get used often already with it firmware

maybe check your B320i (?) controller for HBA/IT functions

here is something called hba mode option rom" listed

https://pastebin.com/QipUzQHZ

and here it looks like that it would be possible to disable the raid option in the setup

https://www.manualsdir.com/manuals/393253/hp-rom-based-setup-utility.html?page=44

Edited by IG-88

Hi thanks for this.

I have now got a dedicated HBA Card. the drives are connected up to it but the find.synology.com page still says it cant find any disks?

It is a HP Smart Array H420 in HBA Mode.

is there a reason find.synology.com thinks there are still no drives? 

Kind Regards,
Charlie. 

• 10 months later...
On 5/26/2020 at 9:00 PM, charliescar616 said:

Hi thanks for this.

I have now got a dedicated HBA Card. the drives are connected up to it but the find.synology.com page still says it cant find any disks?

It is a HP Smart Array H420 in HBA Mode.

is there a reason find.synology.com thinks there are still no drives? 

Kind Regards,
Charlie. 

you should search forum and relevant topic such like below. hpsa.ko has included in extra.lzma

• 11 months later...
1 hour ago, osnovatel said:

Friends, who was able to set up DL360 gen8? If yes, please help

whats the problem? booting, network, no disks?

any extra hardware or just the onboard hardware?

(hpsa.ko for SA4xx is not in the default driver set of jun's loader so you might need to a extended driver set, https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/28321-driver-extension-jun-103b104b-for-dsm623-for-918-3615xs-3617xs/ )

14 hours ago, osnovatel said:

On the built-in raid controller P420

you would a extended driver set with the hpsa.ko driver as mentioned above

for testing you can configure a raid set in the controller and see if its found

the "right" way would be to configure the p420 in hba mode (no raid, every disk is seen as a single disk)

its possible to emulate that in raid mode by configuring every disk as raid0 but you dont have an hpe tools in dsm and you if a disks fails you would not be able to see an sn of a disk so its hard to see whats disk failed

if you cant get it working in hba mode i would suggest using a hypervisor like proxmox or esxi and present dsm only a virtual disk, that way you can make full use of the manageability of the controller

if you really want a dsm baremetal its suggested to use a lsi sas controller that has hba mode (als know is IT mode like initiator target mode), that way you can still use the sas backplane of the server as with the p420