XPEnology Community

CPU Requirements and CPU usage

icanic

Greetings,

I have completed (mostly) my Xpenology NAS.

I have Celeron 330, really some low performance cpu, earlyer in there was xeon 5460 but did not tested LAN speeds withe xeon because I did not have WD Red in there and now I dont have xeon in there :roll: .

Have WD Red 3TB in that NAS with celeron and when I try to copy from NAS to PC I get transfer rate about 40-60mb/s with CPU usage about 90%.

I have a xeon 5460 for that mobo and I will try it later and see will I get more network speed.

What speed you ppl got?

I am trying to get about 100mb/s or something like that, is that possible on xpenology with only one NIC.

What is CPU requirement for 100mb/s, some C2D Intel E7-E8 Series would be enough??

Thank you!

Edit:

Ok, I have put xeon back in NAS and I cant get transfer of 100mb/s.

I have upload to NAS about 70/80mb/s but download from nas is about 60/70mb/s. My network is configured good. All cat6e with airport extreme and dlink 8 port gigabit switch.

Can someone help me to get real gigabit network speed?

I have only one 3TB Wd red. The drive config is SHR for now only 1 HDD but I plan for future to upgrade.

Is there any chance on getting about 100mb/s with one drive. I have just tested copying files from one pc (win 8.1) to another (win 8.1) and I am getting about 110mb/s.

NIC in PC is Realtek 8168e. In my NAS is Realtek 8169SC, but I am sure that if I install Windows and share drive on that PC(where now synology is installed) I will get full Gbe speed.

Why I cant get full speed with only one drive installed in NAS when synology is selling for example, 1 bay NAS ds114d where in spec they say that the read speed is above 100mb/s?

Windows to Windows copy is using different caching and measurement methods. Larger transfers then you have RAM installed will result in speed drop as well.

Check the original specs on the single drive NAS from any manufacturer. None of them offer full gigabit speed. Multiple drives will be able to do it. Especially with WD RED drive and slower rotation speed. 60-70 MBps is not bad at all for single drive.

Mirror will not improve transfer speed. RAID0 (Dangerous) will, but I would use 4 drives in RAID5 (or RAID10) for both speed and redundancy. SSD caching with DSM5.0 requires 2xSSD drives and only helps with files that often accessed. If you want to see pretty numbers on your test, just use one SSD drive as volume. For practical purpose you already have very good speed for single mechanical disk system.

Constant 40-60MBps on a single RED is pretty good.

If you want more speed, beef in more HDDs and create a SHR matrix.

For example, I have 4x 3TB HDDs(details in signature) and my copy speeds are 115-120MBps. Constant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OK. Thank you, I will try to do that.

But I dont know how then 1 bay synology NAS are getting speeds over 100mb/s if I cant get 100mb/s with one drive?

One more question,

If I have lets say 4 drives and my first hdd (where synology OS is installed) is dead, how than I rebuild SHR array with new HDD without losing dana?

But I dont know how then 1 bay synology NAS are getting speeds over 100mb/s if I cant get 100mb/s with one drive?

They don't!

Ahhh, great. I have read somewhere that OS is only on the first drive, thats what was wierd to me.

Where are you getting all the wrong information?

They are using for test SSD drives on the desktop and server. It still shown results comparable with with yours.

<

Performance figures are achieved in the Synology lab by using very powerful client computers with optimized network settings, and could vary in different environments. Regular office desktop or notebook computers may not be able to reproduce these figures.>>>