XPEnology Community

migrate esxi to bare-metal

brandlee

Hello,

i have DSM install on esxi N54L. But i realize i don't need to use virtualization and i should prefer use bare-metal install (smart disk information can be useful).

How can i do to migrate without losing any configuration ?

Thanks for answer :wink:

Hi

I don't think this would be easy or possible without a lot of issues and time involved. You would be trying to convert from virtualised disks/data etc to physical ones.

I think your best option would be to backup your data to an external device, backup your DSM system configuration, build the baremetal server then re-import. The restored configuration would set up your users and system settings.

Good luck

Hello,

i have DSM install on esxi N54L. But i realize i don't need to use virtualization and i should prefer use bare-metal install (smart disk information can be useful).

How can i do to migrate without losing any configuration ?

Thanks for answer :wink:

You could do it if you were using your hard drives in RDM aka passthrough mode, else you will have the problem sbv3000 mentioned.

It depends on how you have presented the disks to ESX1, if you used RDM then you should be able to create a USB drive based on the same version of xpenology you were using in ESXi & boot from it.

However if you used VMDK file you will probably need to backup your files & restore manually.

Hi,

Maybe it is possible to boot your VM with HBCD and create a image to a external drive (if you have one big enough). Then restore the image to a HDD and start your bare metal with xpenology and do a migrate via Synology Assistent as mentioned: https://www.synology.com/en-us/knowledg ... orials/484

I've never tried this, but it's worth trying, because you wil not lose data because of the system image.

Good luck anyway! :wink:

I did this on n54l. I did have the disks as RDM. I just created a nanoboot USB stick and booted from that instead.

DSM was unaware of the change.

Instead of esxi usb key, you put nanoboot usb and after you boot on it without updating anything ?

My disks are raw mapped in Vsphere.

That's right. Original configuration was:

Key with ESXi 5.5

250Gb disk containing the ESX datastore with the nanoboot disk image

2x4TB disks as RDM,

Replaced the key with ESXi on it with one containing the same version of nanoboot.

Removed the 250GB disk.

Booted from the new key.

Carried on as a normal

• 3 weeks later...