XPEnology Community

Port forwarding - maximum number of rules exceeded?

matthewharmon102

I have a fresh install of Xpenology 5.0.4528 update2 on a HP 54L. The server is connected to an unmanaged gigabit switch, that connects to my router. The router I have is a Virgin Media SuperHub VMDG480.

When I try to set up port forwarding using the EX-Internet app, I get as far as the final step, but then I receive a message saying that the maximum number of port forwarding rules has been exceeded. When I log into the router, and look at the port forwarding rules, there isn't anything there! I can manually add the rules into the router, but I guess without the corresponding rules set up in Xpenology, it wont work. How can I get around this problem?

What he said ^^

The firmware version on your router needs to match the current one on the DSM afaik. It maybe worth checking to see if they are both correct. There have been some updated for routers due to some of the security issues that were discovered last year.

A quick question which is almost on topic...I have been thinking about getting an Asus RT-N66U and putting the latest Tomato firmware on it. If anyone reading this thread has any feedback about the RT-N66U and xpenology support I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

What he said ^^

The firmware version on your router needs to match the current one on the DSM afaik. It maybe worth checking to see if they are both correct. There have been some updated for routers due to some of the security issues that were discovered last year.

A quick question which is almost on topic...I have been thinking about getting an Asus RT-N66U and putting the latest Tomato firmware on it. If anyone reading this thread has any feedback about the RT-N66U and xpenology support I would be interested to hear your thoughts.

Thanks in advance.

I've been looking at this router too, I've head the Asus stuff is pretty good, but I haven't tried it with Xpenology

@matthewharmon102,

I have heard great things about it especially with tomato or other flavours of firmware. Even out of the box it has some cool functionality and connectivity is supposed to be amazing. I have read some complaints about the 5Ghz performance though. I want it to run Neorouter server and because it passes WOL from the WAN, tomato delivers some really cool features for a domestic router.

//

@XPEH,

Thanks for the heads up I will do some more research into the R7000. I think the most direct comparison from the Asus lineup is the RT-AC68U which has USB3 and an 800Mhx cpu? Both have Tomato firmware available? Is there anything specific that would place it ahead of the RT-N66U apart from speed?

R7000 UK £149 ish 1Ghz Dual Core CPU RAM 256MB + 128Flash USB 2 and 3

RT-AC68U £180 ish 800Mhz Dual Core CPU 256MB RDDR3 USB 2 and 3 (I seem to remember reading reports of a power up issue on either the AC66U ot AC68U? not sure what the outcome was).

RT-N66U £105 ish 600Mhz RAM 256MB DDR2 USB 2 (I missed a used one for £65 the other day (bloody Christmas holidays got in the way)).

The USB3 is appealing but it's a big difference in price over a used RT-N66U which should perform the additional tasks I meed from it.

Is there anything specific that would place it ahead of the RT-N66U apart from speed?

Well its just a residential router. Apart from speed there is nothing special. Its very stable and it works.

Great NAT speed. Easily saturate my 300Mbps WAN connection. Great, easy to configure VPN (OpenVPN) with excellent speed. Great WiFi Range on both 2.4 and 5GHz bands. I now have 500+mbps with 90% signal where before I had 40-50Mbps and 30% signal. Many routers claim, but not deliver. This one delivers and easy to configure.

I have seen them on sale recently for just over 100 USD

I've been putting of replacing my SuperHub, mainly because at one stage there was talk of Virgin replacing it with the SuperHub2, but now that doesn't seem to be the case I think I'll have to look at an alternative. I still have some older devices that need G (a Wi-Fi security camera and the Wii), but I have looked at hardwiring both of these and then only using 5GHz (there are 2 phones, 3 laptops, a printer and a TV all on Wi-Fi and they all support N) I haven't looked into the custom firmware recently, the last thing I did was DD-WRT on a much older netgear router. Not sure I'll worry too much about custom firmware unless it brings some significant benefits in performance. I still need some more drives for the NAS, and a whole host of other things before I'm allowed to buy a new one :razz:

• 3 weeks later...
Is there anything specific that would place it ahead of the RT-N66U apart from speed?

Well its just a residential router. Apart from speed there is nothing special. Its very stable and it works.

Great NAT speed. Easily saturate my 300Mbps WAN connection. Great, easy to configure VPN (OpenVPN) with excellent speed. Great WiFi Range on both 2.4 and 5GHz bands. I now have 500+mbps with 90% signal where before I had 40-50Mbps and 30% signal. Many routers claim, but not deliver. This one delivers and easy to configure.

I have seen them on sale recently for just over 100 USD

I finally got my hands on an RT-N66U for £50 quid including an Asus USB-N53 wireless adapter both like new. It's busy running the latest Shibby Tomato build and it's doing a great job so far. :smile: