XPEnology Community

NAS Hardware compatible to install xpenology

Mary Andrea

Hi Guys, I'm a newbie and I would like to build a cheaper NAS by myself. Before installing xpenology. I would like you suggest me best&cheap motherboard and processor to place between 4 and 6 Satas. Thank you very much (Will be appreciated if you alert me what are the cpus and mother uncompatible with xpenology) - thk so much. M A

Edited by Mary Andrea

24 minutes ago, Mary Andrea said:

(Will be appreciated if you alert me what are the cpus and mother uncompatible with xpenology)

amd is not supported hardware transcoding (only intel quick sync video)

the "best" depends a lot of what people favor, need or sometimes think they need

ASRock J4105-ITX, ASRock J5005-ITX are affordable, has 4 sata onboard and you can extend 2-4 ports with the pcie 1x slot

as long as 10g network is not needed its ok

i favor the gigabyte B365 HD3, slightly bigger but lots of options to extend

the cpu can be a dead cheap 2 core like G4900/G5400 or 4 core i3 8100/9100, no F type as its without iGPU so it would be without intel quick sync video

8GB RAM is enough

On 5/16/2020 at 4:02 AM, Mary Andrea said:

. I've forgot say that would like to add - in the future- a 10g card ... so I would like to buy the cheaper and small motherboard with this capably

mini itx, 10G nic, pcie expandable and cheap - no way atm

micro atx seems better suited  and apollolake and geminilake are to limited with its 6 pcie lanes, its possible to add a 2.5/5G usb nic (usb3) but in most cases it will also be a problem with the often only two sata ports, most/all pci 1x card with 2 or 4 ports a only pcie 2.0 so 500MB/s is max perfromace for this, so even a normal hdd will be slowed down when using more then two added disks

there are some mini-itx supermicro server boards with 10G onboard and a pcie slot (8x or 4x) but they are expansive and lack hardware transcoding capabilites

so its about micro atx and i only know one board that has only slightly more depth as the mini-itx factor - its the already mentioned gigabyte B365M HD3

it has 6xsata, two pcie 16 sloth (one 16x, one 4x) 2xpcie 1x and a M.2 (pcie 4x, can slo be used with a M.2 to PCIe 4x adapter or a M.2 SATA card)

i use it with a pcie 3.0 capable pcie 2x controller (JMB585) and a dualport 10G card and still have 2 x pcie 1x open (at least 2 sata ports per pcie 1x slot are ok wen using cheap pcie 2.0 controllers like marvell 88se9215) and the M.2 slot (there is a 5port M.2 card with a JMB585, it does work but i did not tested it extensively yet)

if full size micro atx is possible then there is a wide range of boards

whats with this reposting every few hours? if thats a kind i attention seeking then it will bring you to the attention of ignore lists, so please act like a normal human being and be patient as everyone else (btw. there are also time zones on this planet, some people might be in a different zone then you, most people sleep 8h  and have a normal life and job  beside being active here, it's logical and reasonable to wait more then 2-4 hours for an answer)

Edited by IG-88
  • Like 1

Hi ig-88 ---!! Sorry for delay , I ve appreciate so much your suggestion , in fact,  I am following it . But I think that I ve had a mistake buying a card B365m Ds3h, and after received it I checked this post and surprise, You had said B365-3HD. Oh my god, I ma newbie !! Now I dont know if I will return it to seller. However I am reading specifications, and is capable to i3 (cheap dual), and ddr4, and 6 sata too. What I do? ---- (be patient if I am a bit delay answering, I am on the ending south world and working onto pandemia healthy center.) So I am building slowly this NAS, during free time, and buying by net sellers... so paying, waiting and receiving box, and  testing...) 

7 hours ago, Mary Andrea said:

Hi ig-88 -!! Sorry for delay , I ve always appreciated so much your suggestion , in fact,  I am following it step by step .  I think that I ve had a mistake buying a B365m Ds3h mother, When i've received it I checked your post, got a sad surprise! You have said "B365-3HD" (little difference?). Oh my god, I am newbie !! I don't know if I will have return it to seller now. ----However I am reading Ds3h thech specifications, and look like its capable:  -to add 10g through pcie expansion,   i3-i9 (cheap dual), and 6 sata too !. So, look like similar your suggestion about kind of mother..... What I've to do? ---- (be patient if I am delaying answers, I m stay on the ending south world and working onto in healthy center.) So I am building slowly this NAS, during free time, (its a bit slow process; buying net shops... net payment, waiting for delivery courier, and  testing...) 

Edited by Mary Andrea

4 hours ago, Mary Andrea said:

buying a B365m Ds3h mother,

not too  bad, you just "loose" one pcie 1x slot, things like 6xsata, pcie 16x and pcie4x (open at the end so it can take 8x/16x cards) and M.2 is there too

so you might keep it, close enough when it comes to add storage and 10G nic

4 hours ago, Mary Andrea said:

You have said "B365-3HD" (little difference?)

no, it was B365M-HD3, skipping the "M" will end you with a completely different product in this case like

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B365-HD3-rev-10

instead of

https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/B365M-HD3-rev-10

you can stay with the B365M DS 3H as you only miss a 1x slot and that would probably stay unused anyway

whats the M.2 ssd for?

they can only be used as cache and with just one it would be only read cache, and it also need you to patch dsm for this and you need to repatch after bigger updates

ssd read cache for just one client is useless in most cases, its more interesting in multi user enviroment

some people use a sata ssd as 1st disk to speed up booting, if that was your intension for the M.2 ssd

15 minutes ago, Mary Andrea said:

So,  where do you recommend placing the xpenology operating system?

it places itself on every disk as raid1 over all disks so there is not really a recommandation

if you want to boot faster you can make the 1st disk a ssd and just dont use the rest of the ssd or build in a second and use both as faster volume (cache ssd have no system, they are special)

if you dont care about waiting 1 minute longer on boot then you dont have to do anything, just pliugin you hdd's and install

• Like 1

On 5/23/2020 at 12:36 PM, IG-88 said:

it places itself on every disk as raid1 over all disks so there is not really a recommandation

if you want to boot faster you can make the 1st disk a ssd and just dont use the rest of the ssd or build in a second and use both as faster volume (cache ssd have no system, they are special)

if you dont care about waiting 1 minute longer on boot then you dont have to do anything, just pliugin you hdd's and install

hi IG-88, finally Id made my NAS , I've installed xpenolgy 5.1.(5500) !! , but HDD doesn't recognized (I've charged 4 hdd SATA), and Bios look like are recognized, so I don't know how to follow.. I'll appreciate any tips about. 

dsmInstalled.jpg

On 5/22/2020 at 4:56 PM, IG-88 said:

B365m Ds3h

On 5/22/2020 at 6:11 PM, Mary Andrea said:

Now I will buy a i3 (8100)

with this hardware your 1st try should be more like loader 1.04b and 918+ DSM 6.2.3

mightl be hard to find some one to support you with such outdated loader and dsm version, not much packages too, lots of unfixed security issues and maybe even smb/cifs (samba) problems with windows 10

• Like 1

On 6/2/2020 at 4:08 PM, IG-88 said:

with this hardware your 1st try should be more like loader 1.04b and 918+ DSM 6.2.3

mightl be hard to find some one to support you with such outdated loader and dsm version, not much packages too, lots of unfixed security issues and maybe even smb/cifs (samba) problems with windows 10

thk IG-88 and aoprea, happened that I thought an old DSM would be easy for a beginner , but , now , I will upgrade to a new 6.1 or 6.2 -- thk a lot !!

What BIOS and Basic Setting on the motherboard do you think I have to pay attention ?

• 4 months later...
17 hours ago, Mary Andrea said:

Now I am prepared to upgrade my NAS (Gigabyte b365M-i3, 9HDD) - Could you suggest me what cheap-compatible Card Network rj45 I may to buy for DSM 6.2?

the Gigabyte B365M alrready has a nic onboard, any problems with that? or are you talking about a 10G nic?

• Like 1

Good afternoon.

Tell me if it is possible to start xpenology on HP Mini 5101
Intel Atom N280 processor
Network card Marvell Yukon 88E8072 PCI-E
Northbridge Mobile Intel Calistoga-GSE i945GSE
Intel 82801GBM ICH7-M Southbridge

The problem is that after booting from the created flash drive, the network interface does not work, DHCP is not assigned.
Bootloader 1.04b
DSM Version DS918 + _25426
Additional driver packages - extra918plus_v0.13.3

I have a similar system running on an Intel Atom N270 processor
but with a different network card
on build DS3615xs DSM 6.1.7-15284 Update 3
Bootloader 1.03b

20 hours ago, IG-88 said:

the Gigabyte B365M alrready has a nic onboard, any problems with that? or are you talking about a 10G nic?

Humm not, If I don't understood bad about gigabyte B365M, I may to change 1gb Ethernet Card to a new 10gb Ehternet Card, I would like to convert my LAN to a fast (10G) net transfer data between Server (DSM) and Mac.  (I'm seeing 520, 540Intel, Qnap, Lenovo Cards, but  I'm afraid to buy a non compatible card with DSM) -thk for answer.

7 hours ago, Zayas said:

Intel Atom N280 processor
Network card Marvell Yukon 88E8072 PCI-E

iits not the nic, the cpu is way to old for 918+, its min. 4th gen intel cpu (haswell) yours it from 2009, ~5 years to old

if anything would be working then try 3615

you might want to read this (it might pay off to read the faq and look into the tutorial section)

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

the nic driver would be sky2.ko and thats even part of jun's driver set that comes with the loader

btw. it's called thread hijacking i guess? please open a new thread if you have problems getting your hardware to work

3 hours ago, Mary Andrea said:

'm seeing 520, 540Intel, Qnap, Lenovo Cards, but  I'm afraid to buy a non compatible card with DSM

qnap and lenovo are just brands, its important to know what network chip is used to see whats with the driver or check if that driver is in the extra.lzma

in theory there are "native" nic's synology provides driver for is dsm because they sell cards with a certain chipset or provide support for certain vendors

the set of drivers is adapted to the hardware platform and as 918+ (apollolake)  is just a smaller consumer platform and does not even have a pcie slot the drivers for network are slim and afir there is no 10G native driver in there

the network driver list in here is still valid and of good use when checking a chip for its driver and then go into the extra.lzma (with 7zip) to check if the driver is present

and when openig the driver with a hex editor you can even see the pci vid/pid that is supported and can compare with the hardware you have or want to buy

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/12859-driver-extension-jun-103a2dsm62x-for-ds918/

in general the 10G intel driver is ixgbe.ko but jun's default driver is older and does not support some newer cards or phys (the chip making the connection to the physical layer)

same can be said about some of  synology's own native drivers

the only way to be 100% sure is the list of supported cards for the model in question o synology's website and it need to be exactly that card because if the phy chip is different and the driver does not support it the card will not work - i had this with one of my two tehuti based cards one is synology native supported the other has the same chip but a different phy chip and getting this to work took more time then expected because the phy's need extra firmware and every oem selling a cad only provides firmware for there own hardware, so it needs finding and mixing from about 4-5 vendors to get a complete driver with all firmware files (its much easier with intel, the driver source contains all whats needed to get a working driver from it)

bottom line, there is no 10G safe choice for 918+ i use two tehuti based cards and a broadcom

intel seem to be good because the driver works good and seems to be not problem when compiling additional drivers

tehuti and aqantia (both cheaper) should work but here might be newer models with newer phy's that need a newer driver

mellanox ConnectX-3 (MT275xx) is usually cheap on ebay and the driver from the kernel (4.4.59) seems to work, often used for custom build nas systems

• Like 1

2 часа назад, IG-88 сказал:

if anything would be working then try 3615

i already tried 3615 with extra.lzma for loader 1.03b ds3615 DSM 6.2.3 v0.11_test
and 3617 with extra.lzma for loader 1.03b ds3617 DSM 6.2.3 v0.11.2_test
the problem is the same, the network card does not receive DHCP
at the same time, the card is functional and works in windows 7.