XPEnology Community

Better using N54L

chung922

Hello Everyone

I am one of the N54L users which is installed DSM 5.0 currently, it is really stable and N54L have been run more than 45days.

But i want to ask if I want to install one more system into N54L such as windows 8.1 or 7 with DSM run in a same time.

What can I do is better using N54L? Since I only use the macbook pro only , I sometimes need to use Windows too.

1. ESXI + DSM

2. Windows 8.1 + Hyper-v + DSM

3. DSM only

Can you give me some suggestions for me? Thanks a lot

I use ESXi 5.1 with DSM 5 and Windows 7. It works fine but have every intention of going back to bare bones so I can extract S.M.A.R.T data easily (you can do it with ESXi but it's just far easier bare bones).

USB support in ESXi is ruddy slow. On bare bones it's sooooo much faster.

Unless you absolutely need the option of building other systems on your N54L then I wouldn't bother. Otherwise it does work and it works well. You just sacrifice a little for it.

I have two N40L's and Xpenology has been working on them flawlessly. I haven't tried setting one up with an alternative OS and Virtual DSM yet..although it's on my to do list. The N40L has moments when it bogs down momentarily, even when there doesn't seem to be much activity on the NAS. Both machines have 8 GB ram and I'm not that demanding. I do some basic testing on Joomla and that tends to be where I notice the slow downs most. Occasionally Plex struggles for a second of two. All of which has put me off getting too serious with visualising the DSM on my Microservers. I have a few things I would like to try out though when I'm not being way too lazy. Oh and there is the "if it aint broke..." rule nagging away in my head. :oops:

A bare metal build of Xpenology on a microserver makes for a pretty impressive and economical little NAS solution. I dearly hope that some of the linux geniuses on here can solve the 5.1 installation issue. If they can't I will stick with 5.0.x within my private network because it does everything I need and then some and it's simply bloody reliable. ::ThumbsUp::

Whichever way you go you should have an enjoyable experience.

HP MIcroservers Gen7 make a great home NAS. H36L and N40L marginaly enough, N54L is about perfect, but none of them have much extra for virtualisation or very heavy tasks like Plex encoding. The best to leave them as bare metal NAS only and enjoy.

I'm running Xpenology in a VM on ESXi on my N54L.

Also running FreePBX, Ubuntu Server 14 and an occasional use of a Win 7 test machine. The Xpenology is running PMS, straeming nicely.

All running happily, no issues.

I'm running Xpenology in a VM on ESXi on my N54L.

Also running FreePBX, Ubuntu Server 14 and an occasional use of a Win 7 test machine. The Xpenology is running PMS, straeming nicely.

All running happily, no issues.

If DSM performance on the VM meets your expectations thats great.

Some people expect it to also have fast Plex encoding and Full Gigabit speed at the same time and those expectations may not meet.