XPEnology Community

Move my hdds to another computer with a raid card?

Werter

Hi. I was woundering if i could move my hdds of 8*4 tb disks from my current computer that have 10 onboard sata connections witch 8 are used with 4 tb disks to a computer that have 6 onboard sata connections and a raidcard with 4 sata connections and the raid will be intact? Have anyone tryied it?

I would test this first using a spare HDD and a new USB/DSM/Nanoboot disk.

Connect the HDD to a SATA port, boot DSM and check if it can 'see' the disk. Repeat for all the SATA ports, onboard and the add-on card

If they all work then you should be able to transfer the disks (but I would do a backup of your data first as well)

I have a mobo with 6 sata onboard and only ports 1-4 are 'seen' by Nanoboot/DSM, even though they appear in the BIOS, your 6 port board may be the same

good luck

I was looking for an option to change from Intel chip based raid to adaptec based one and got an impression that it is not possible to change raid cards/chipsets for a different manufacturer. Raid cards/chipsets write metadata (each manufacturer uses its own format) to disks and different chip unlikely able to pick it up.

Отправлено из моего iPhone используя Tapatalk

Hi

You are right that sometimes the raid/device information is written to the disks, but I think this when a 'hardware raid' is set up.

I think that because DSM volumes/raid information is software based then provided the drives are visible it will 'work'

But but you could perhaps 'test' with a spare disk and nanoboot, creating a DSM volume using the Intel adapter, then swap the drive to the Adaptec one. If the volume appears then it *should* work :smile:

• 1 month later...