XPEnology Community

Network buffering issues

ltworf13

I have DSM 5.0 OS installed and:

- NETGEAR WNDR4500

- Cisco SG100D-08 Unmanaged Gigabit Switch

- WD TV Live Media player

- KDLinks a200 Medi player

Having trouble with files buffering it's almost as if my network is bottle-necking someplace. I can play simple video files but when I play some large files of file with high format (DTS-HD-MA or TrueHD) it buffers on either media player.

Does anyone have any suggestions are welcome please

Can you play those same files from a local HDD connected to those media players? What about to a PC across an Ethernet cable? If you can you can rule out your NAS and wired network performance. If you are accessing the media as files on a share, you should be fine on the NAS side, but if you are using something like plex to present the media, maybe it is doing server side transcoding and just running out of CPU on your NAS side?

yes when i connect to media player locally the files work fine and when I connect via server as samba or NSF shared that's when I have an issue. I have a lot of files copying right now from one HDD to another, plus the kids are streaming file via there devices at any given time then me with my 2 media player devices it might be too much for my server which is why I got the unmanned switch. Oddly enough it's even worse when I plug the server and the Media devices directly to the switch. In order to get the best performance I need to connect the server and media device directly to the router. Also no I tried Plex but i couldn't get the transcode to work properly for DTS-HD sound so i don't use plex just shared