XPEnology Community

How good is VMM in terms of performance ?

Hello to everybody

I am considering dumping my old NAS (DNS-320) in favor of a dedicated PC that will serve as NAS +VM host. (probably the lowest CPU in consideration is i3-6100 but i am also thinking for more powerful options)

Till now the path seemed clear in terms that i would install ESXI and have a NAS OS serving the drives.

I saw the VMM package on xpenology (sry i don't have much knowledge on it.. i only assume it was just a NAS OS like others) and made me thinking...

I don't need the bells and whistles of ESXI ...i just want fair performance of my VMs......which normally should be kept stopped until for some reason i would need to start 1 maybe 2 at most (the really most will be in extreme scenarios 3).

There would be a mix of Windows installations e.g. Win7/2008R2/2019 ....and a couple of Linux Distros....

I don't want any kind of great performance like for gaming but i want decent 2d performance as i test multiple scenarios under various IDE

So what do you think...does Xpenology is up to the task.

For the record i have a gaming PC with a side installation of ESXI (USB) running on G4560 and it performs great for my needs from the little i have played around.

• 3 weeks later...

From what I can tell VMM is just a fency UI, which delegates the heavy lifting to qemu for emulation and kvm2 as hypervior.  Afaik kvm2 has build-in support in the Linux kernel and is able to leverage VT-x and  VT-d for better performance. Though,  you might want to research if client additions do exist for the OS'es you want to use.. Otherwise the UI will high likely be bloody slow.

Edited by haydibe