XPEnology Community

Reliability and Safety

kanty

hello everyone and Merry Christmas .

I installed Xpenology (DSM 5.0 -4528) on a computer with CPU INTEL DualCore everything works fine is a great OS , ( I have a QNAP NAS (TS-459Pro) I must say that Synology DSM is much better . )

I have some important question .

You can install Xpenology in production ?

Xpenology is reliable?

I would install Xpenology in company with many users , data security and reliability must be the principal thing .

thanks in advance

hello everyone and Merry Christmas .

I installed Xpenology (DSM 5.0 -4528) on a computer with CPU INTEL DualCore everything works fine is a great OS , ( I have a QNAP NAS (TS-459Pro) I must say that Synology DSM is much better . )

I have some important question .

You can install Xpenology in production ?

Xpenology is reliable?

I would install Xpenology in company with many users , data security and reliability must be the principal thing .

thanks in advance

If you're intending to run in a commercial environment you really should purchase genuine Synology hardware, that way you have access to Synology support & all the latest updates.

If you're intending to run in a commercial environment you really should purchase genuine Synology hardware, that way you have access to Synology support & all the latest updates.

I will buy it for commercial environment .

Xpenology is stable and safe if it is installed on a compatible hardware ?

No machine accessible over the WAN can be considered safe - it can only be as safe as you can make it. Someone determined to breach your security probably will if they have the skills required. If your company allows users to connect USB devices to network machines you're also at risk of being pwned.

Black Hat 2014

there's plenty of other information about this issue on the web. They omit the full disclosure parts in this video but there are others who provide suits of tools that allow people to use USB devices for these attacks in the wild. It's extremely difficult to defend against this type of attack and it effects most OS's. Obviously this isn't specific to Epen/synology systems it's a general security issue that demonstrates how insecure systems can be in general.

Xpenology and Synolgy DSM is vulnerable to attacks over the internet if ports are open to public networks. Security on xpenology lags behind synology because the fixes are implemented by them. Synology also offer support which may help you recover from a security related attack or other issues which may result in data loss. You may find solutions for Xpenlogy but unrecoverable losses are far likely. Xpenology probably isn't really the smartest move for shared business, mission critical or sensitive data distribution in a corporate /commercial environments.

At the moment Xpenology is stuck on version 5.0.x while Synology owners have access to 5.1.x and we don't have an upgrade solution on the horizon.

Only you can decide how much you value your data and how well you can manage server security policies and protection systems. Anyone can be compromised even security experts if the attack vector is an unknown exploit etc. Security is a constantly moving target and what's considered secure today may not be secure tomorrow.

In my xperience Xpenology has been stable and reliable but other people have suffered data losses for various reasons. It is what it is and you have to accept the risk that there maybe problems at some point.

What xpenology is great for is testing and experimenting with the synology DSM on the cheap.