XPEnology Community

Advice for hardware

shinrei82

As you know I want to run esxi and xpenology, Mac OS, Windows as virtual.

To have access to the screen of the mac os for sample, I can specify one particular video output like DVI?

To want to have access one vm via screen, keyboard and mouse only.

Its not how ESXi works. on the screen you will only see ESXi console for limited management.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm finally starting my build today. I received a bad mother board and had to RMA. I've install esxi on a usb and compiled the nic drivers into esxi. I'm about to start the Xpenology install and its my first install. I have the bios configured for RAID but i didn't configure the RAID because i want to configure the RAID in Xpenology. I have a concern about that though. I would have to pass the hard drives to xpenology and let xpenology control the RAID and to do this i would have to have pass through capabilities in esxi correct? When i go the advanced settings and look at direct I/O configuration it says pass through isn't supported. I have the same exact build thats posted at the beginning of this thread. Am i missing something?

Hi,

Glad you took same hardware :smile:

I have configured the RDM with the vmkfstools tool. Xpenology should manage directly the disk. Weirdly, i have checked the advanced settings and see the pass through is not supported too... How can we confirm xpenology have all access to the disk? On Storage tab, I can not test the SMART of my disks :s

• 2 weeks later...

Hi/Salut shinrei82,

I'm looking to build a new NAS based on XPEnology in the coming days, and saw that you plan to also make it an Hackintosh. I would also like to do that for the same reason of using Lightroom, so please keep give news on your process.

Thanks/Merci

• 2 weeks later...
Hi,

Glad you took same hardware :smile:

I have configured the RDM with the vmkfstools tool. Xpenology should manage directly the disk. Weirdly, i have checked the advanced settings and see the pass through is not supported too... How can we confirm xpenology have all access to the disk? On Storage tab, I can not test the SMART of my disks :s

Hi,

Check again the BIOS, i do not see the VT-d option which is supposed to display right under the Intel Virtualization Technology. Probably the reason on ESXI, the DirectPath is not supported.

My BIOS is on the lastest one (F4). Someone can confirm he has the option VT-d ??

• 3 weeks later...

Hey

I replaced my I3 4340 to I5-4570T. I have the feature VT-D and I can see devices available to direct patch.

One of my friend (vmware expert) said RDM is useless for recent esxi. I Will remove my config according to this advice.

Envoyé depuis mon Nexus 7 avec Tapatalk