Plex server w/ transcoding needed

Security

Have:

P8p67 ws revolution

1050w and 800w psus

Need: 

4u chassis with support for up to 8 drives

10GbaseT add-on card

8port raid controller add-on card (potentially)

GPU (potentially)

Plan to buy:

3x6TB ironwolfs in raid 5

Questions I have:

My Mobo has 8 total Sata ports across three different controllers.  Will DSM play nice with the different controllers or do I need the add-on card?

I have an old 9600 gtx card as well as an old Radeon 5870 eyefinity 6 card.  My limited research led me to believe that the AMD card is useless with DSM as a hardware acceleration component.  Any value in either of these?  My direct files will be 4k 4:4:4 ran to my home theater.  Looking to stream to hd and even an old 1050 monitor as well as mobile devices.  Probably 4 concurrent streams max.

What holes exist in my plan?

What am I missing due to my ignorance?  (Never done anything w/ servers and I have no computer background outside of building my own personal PC's for the last 13 yrs.)

Lastly, thanks in advance for any constructive feedback anybody is able to give.

Edited by Deank2002

CPU is relatively old (~10 years, Sandy Bridge) which means you can’t use the 1.04b loader (DS918+). PSU is totally overpowered, Mainboard has two SATA controllers (Marvell and Intel) with mixed speeds (SATA3&6). In addition, the board has a NVIDIA NF200 which can lead to problems. Additional GPUs don’t work or provide any benefit.

Personally I wouldn’t use this hardware for a build with new components like the HDDs and a HBA card (RAID controllers don’t make real sense in DSM). 

6 hours ago, jensmander said:

CPU is relatively old (~10 years, Sandy Bridge) which means you can’t use the 1.04b loader (DS918+). PSU is totally overpowered, Mainboard has two SATA controllers (Marvell and Intel) with mixed speeds (SATA3&6). In addition, the board has a NVIDIA NF200 which can lead to problems. Additional GPUs don’t work or provide any benefit.

Personally I wouldn’t use this hardware for a build with new components like the HDDs and a HBA card (RAID controllers don’t make real sense in DSM). 

Hey, thanks for the feedback.  This is stuff I just have laying around so I thought I would use it, but my priority is stability/performance so piecemealing this together sounds like a non-starter.  I guess I need to peruse the forums and find out what others are using.  

So I really understand the limitations here...

I need a certain gen cpu to use the bootloader?  

Do raid controllers interfere with dsm? Do I just want a dumb HBA?

Thanks again for your reply.

The 1.04b (DS918+) needs a Haswell CPU or newer. HBAs are recommended for SMART reports and better insight features. If you use a RAID controller DSM can‘t „see“ each HDDs health. There are controllers which pass HDDs 1:1 to the system but this makes no sense. Original boxes (DS, RS and FS series) also don’t have hardware RAID, it‘s all done by software RAID (mdam). If you don’t use SHR (Synology Hybrid RAID) and stay with common RAID levels (1, 1+0, 5, 6, etc.), it‘s also possible to mount these RAID volumes in other Linux systems. A nice side effect if anything goes wrong with DSM. If you‘ll use a HBA it‘s recommended to write down which HDD is connected to each port/cable. Hard learned lesson from users who encountered hardware failures with their HDDs.

A good start for working and compatible hardware is always the update report section where users (should) include their hardware specs.

• Thanks 1