XPEnology Community

DSM 4.3 doesn't show on my home network

ezrangel

Hi, I build a NAS a few months ago and installed Xpenology version of the DSM 4.3. Everything was great until a month ago when my NAS stopped showing up on my home network. I believe it's working ok since it was schedule to power off at 4 am everyday and so it does. I think, maybe, my onboard network is not working then I bought a new network board but it seems that the DSM system is not recognizing the new board and it not even blink any of the lights.

Any ideias?

Thanks for any help!

Provided you see the option to migrate the data should be OK. You should really perform a backup whenever you apply major changes as a matter of course because there is no guarantee nothing will go wrong. The older versions have some security issues so upgrading would be advisable. Upgrades to DSM 5 haven't caused any significant problems for the majority of users afaik. Both my machines upgraded with out issue.

If you're having network issues you may have a problem connecting to the machine when you try to update. Does the Synology Assistant or DSM finder fail to discover your machine? If they can't discover the device you might have a problem.

Ok, I decided to try to update to 5.0 beta...

Burn the 5.0 image to a USB drive just like the first time! Synology web assistant found the dsm (192.168.25.8), great! I got the option to migrate (perfect) and so I did!

10 min later, everything seemed to work fine, but... again... right after the update, the nas could not be found in the network again!

Even the ip address is not showing on my modem!

Please, please, help me!

I am a noob here!

I have both DSM 5 and DSM 4 systems and multiple PCs both wired and wireless connections. However 1 laptop has consistently not been able to find the DSM 4 system on the network. If I ping the IP of DSM form laptop is sees it, after that I can use Synology Assistant to open DSM. Do you have another machine to try your process?

Is the machine accessing the server a windows machine? Windows network discovery can be a bit flaky some times but it normally gets there eventually. If you can ping the server and connect to it directly using the ip address manually then network discovery must be something to do with the issue.

Are you using a fixed IP for your server? What manages your dns? You mentioned that you stop and restart the machine via scheduling so maybe the dns is getting messed with or lease times are causing an issue somehow?

Now, I can ping the server, no problem. It is visible on the network, but I cant loggin. the web page is blank.

Edit: updated again to 4482 and the dsm is finally acessible from the web interface! The volume is there but no folders and i cant access any file (movies, pics and music). Does it mean I lost them all? Or can they still be saved?