XPEnology Community

Problems on begging

1 6 D

Hello,

I'm trying to run ds3617_6.2. I tried to make everything with XPEnology Tool v1.4.2. Computers starts and write to search new NAS on find.synology.com or with Assistant but NAS doesn't connect with router and I can't see any IP given for it. I was thinking about problems with drivers. I tried to replace original file with two custom extra.lzma from forum but nothing helped.

My computer:

Mainboard: GA-H61N-D2V (rev. 1.0)

Processor: i5-3470T

Maybe I should install older DSM?

• 3 months later...

I am afraid I can't help as I am more of a novice than you but I feel for you given that you posted this on 30 April and have not recieved on bit of advice. Unfortunately they seem to be incredibly selective on what articles they respond to in this forum.  Strange behaviour.

2 hours ago, jak8 said:

Strange behaviour.

not really, we do this in our spare time and the corona crisis might even be more work for some people, not all have a relaxed job with home office

there is no organized support team or anything, people in need of such structure might build them up, maybe start a wiki or pay the full price and buy a original synology hardware and get support from synology

Edited by IG-88

Yes but top and bottom of the matter - a guy posts a simple query in April and we are half way thru August and not one reply.  That sucks in my opinion - just voicing my opinion on a recently joined forum.

I have used and hacked Synology units for almost 12 years so I am not unfamiliar with the products and not against purchasing them. 

There's none so blind than those who don't want to see.

13 minutes ago, jak8 said:

I have used and hacked Synology units for almost 12 years so I am not unfamiliar with the products and not against purchasing them. 

see and thats my point, loads of people use it but the amount of people participating is tiny (and thats normal)  and there are just not enough people to have it in a organized way and for me personal i can say i dont want to be in a support team (or a mod) with daily/weekly tasks, thats to much like my job and i want to do things that are not going to be a burden and dont feel like work (and i guess thats the way for most of the people participating here) and if my job or family or personal things are important i take a leave for as long as i feel is necessary

there are more places that need work, better faq, better (recent) tutorial, a wiki with hardware maybe - even this would reduce the amount of support needed for new people and does not need a binding commitment

It is a bit hard when people ask a question and it goes unanswered, but that's not something specific to this forum.

I can think of others where if you ask a very open and basic question, you get your head bitten off.

And Xpenology isn't really a "project". Open media vault is. Oh wait! The guy who was doing all the ARM stuff had a big bust up with one of the other guys and left the room.

Since I have come back to visit the forum, I have been thinking of any contribution I can make. But I can't match the gurus here.

On 8/9/2020 at 2:44 AM, jak8 said:

Yes but top and bottom of the matter - a guy posts a simple query in April and we are half way thru August and not one reply.  That sucks in my opinion - just voicing my opinion on a recently joined forum. <snip> There's none so blind than those who don't want to see.

Sometimes posts get lost in the noise.  The raft of "doesn't work, help meee" posts come in a cyclical manner. This is a series of hacks, not a product. If one is not willing to learn some general tech and Linux in particular, this really isn't for him/her. No one person here has all the answers. Sometimes it's best to let people figure things out on their own; sometimes the community has something relevant to share that helps them.  There is enough information and resources here to support both.

That said, 

On 8/8/2020 at 10:51 AM, jak8 said:

I am afraid I can't help as I am more of a novice than you

On 8/9/2020 at 2:44 AM, jak8 said:

I have used and hacked Synology units for almost 12 years

Well which is it?  Awfully convenient as you are criticizing others.  How about you buckle up and help?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1 6 D said:

Newer one don't want to work like I write in first post.

You never said which DSM version you tried, only "newer." Should you want 6.2.3, try this combination: loader 1.03b, DSM DS3615xs version 6.2.3-25426.  You MUST set Legacy Boot/CSM in your BIOS for your USB stick.  The install (VID/PID, etc) is otherwise the same as what you have done for 6.1.7. That said, there is nothing wrong with 6.1.7.  On the DS3615xs platform you have chosen, there really is no difference between 6.1.7 and 6.2.3.

As someone decided to hijack your post, I will, without criticism or judgment, state for his/her sake that this exact advice has been posted on average once per day for at least the last month. 

Edited by flyride

11 hours ago, flyride said:

6.2.1 and 6.2.2 had problems with driver compatibility and were difficult to make work.  Stay on 6.1.7 or go to 6.2.3, you'll probably have a different result than with 6.2.2.

What he said.

If it helps, then I stayed on 6.1.7 for a long time because of the driver issues and was researching alternatives. But then 6.2.3 came along and it "just worked". But check for and delete the hidden .xpenoboot directory if it exists before you run the upgrade.

On 8/11/2020 at 11:06 AM, billat29 said:

What he said.

If it helps, then I stayed on 6.1.7 for a long time because of the driver issues and was researching alternatives. But then 6.2.3 came along and it "just worked". But check for and delete the hidden .xpenoboot directory if it exists before you run the upgrade.

Did you create your USB with an extra file?

I've only done microserver g7 builds... 1 with a HP nc360t NIC... The other two run onboard NIC, 1 has the stock loader - stuck on 6.1.x, the other runs a loader with an extra file added and runs on 6.2.3

I didn't use an extra file. I have a standard N54L with onboard nic. I had upgraded it over the years to reach 6.1.7 and stopped there for a while. When 6.2.3 was released, I created a new v1.03b USB with vid and pid set correctly and any other changes I had made to v1.02b (disable_mtrr_trim comes to mind) copied over.