XPEnology Community

5.0-4528 - Single Drive Sleep

securitybyte

Hi

I'm running DSM 5.0-4528 on a N54L MicroServer with two drives (a Samsung SSD and a WD Red). The SSD contains music (for Sonos) and the WD Red contains infrequently accessed data/backups.

The problem is every time I access the music on the SSD, the WD Red is woken up. I have read numerous posts regarding this and the consensus appears to be this is normal (because of the way Synology installs a system partition on each drive) and nothing can be done about it. This is no good for me, I want the WD Red to be sleeping 90% of the time.

I was previously running OpenMediaVault where the drives would sleep and wake up independently of each other. So before I sadly have to say good bye to XPEnology and try something else, I just wanted to double check that there is absolutely no way around this issue?

I don't mind a bit of backend hacking if that's what is needed. I wouldn't even mind if I had to manually wake up the WD Red drive over SSH as and when I need to access it. I wonder, what about unmounting the disk, sending it to sleep via a hdparm -y, and then re-mounting it on demand. I may give this a try.

Has anyone tried anything similar?

Thanks

I have a similar concern. I have 6 disks in my Xpenology, and I want to convert them to JBOD. I currently have RAID5, but that keeps all drives spinning at all time, and every time I access a small file, all 6 disks are being accessed. I was thinking to go to JBOD, so ideally, if the file I access is only on drive 1, only drive 1 will spin up and being used.

So, Dfds's respond, i would run into similar limitation as well?

I have a similar concern. I have 6 disks in my Xpenology, and I want to convert them to JBOD. I currently have RAID5, but that keeps all drives spinning at all time, and every time I access a small file, all 6 disks are being accessed. I was thinking to go to JBOD, so ideally, if the file I access is only on drive 1, only drive 1 will spin up and being used.

So, Dfds's respond, i would run into similar limitation as well?

Hi Wenlez, I'm not sure if having the disks as JBOD would make any difference, but the only way to know for sure would be to test it out.

• 5 months later...