XPEnology Community

DS3617 not see all disk

albebert

Question

Hi, i've made a custom xpenology based on a core2quad IPIBL-LB HP motherboard (a old desktop).

the CM has 6 sata ports and i've added a pcie 6 sata ports card.

but DSM does'nt see 2 ports from the additional card. if i boot on a linux i see all my disk but DSM don't :(

any idea why ?

Many thanks in advance

11 answers to this question

7 hours ago, albebert said:

i use this pci card : 

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4000433136783.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.f3796c373b0sv2

in 6 port version.  seems to have a port multiplier

yes, Modell: PCE6SAT-M01

https://www.amazon.de/Bewinner-SATA3-0-Erweiterungskarte-Express-Erweiterungskarte-Riser-Karte-Kompatibel-default/dp/B082VFSYTP

-> in description

marvell 88SE92xx (4 port ahci)  + ASM 1092 (port multilier)

https://www.asmedia.com.tw/eng/e_show_products.php?item=141&cate_index=138

"ASM1092 is Serial ATA port multiplier controller, supporting one host ports and two device drives"

so forget about it as 6port with dsm, its 4 what you can use and dont forget about it being pci1x, it will result in a bad performance

• Thanks 1

If your add-on SATA card uses a port multiplier, it may not be able to address all 6 ports.  There are many threads on which cards work well, and which do not.

Before you go replacing hardware, test extensively with DiskIdxMap and SataPortMap options with disks that are not in production use.

ok thanks

i use this pci card : 

https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/4000433136783.html?spm=a2g0s.9042311.0.0.f3796c373b0sv2

in 6 port version.  seems to have a port multiplier

there is the lspci result :

0000:00:1f.2 RAID bus controller: Intel Corporation SATA Controller [RAID mode] (rev 02)

0001:06:00.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. Device 1475 (rev ff)
0001:08:00.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: Marvell Technology Group Ltd. 88SE9235 PCIe 2.0 x2 4-port SATA 6 Gb/s Controller (rev ff)

if anyone can help me, i will try to find documentation for DiskIdxMap and SataPortMap but with a quick search i don't find any usefull stuff at the moment.

Edited by albebert

try disabling the onboard sata controller, if all disks appear then it might mean the correct idxmap and portmap will give your the full 12 disk with both controllers. you might need trial and error.

also, test each sata port on the add on controller with a drive attached, 4 or 5 may work but if the controller uses a multiplier, the 6th channel will probably not work and if you connect a drive to it may cause the 5th drive to 'disappear' too.

I don't know if i can disable onbard controller i will try.

i have 2 ports on additional pci sata card that are not working (DSM don't see disk on it)

so if 6 disk are OK on second controler when the onbaord is disabled, i need to test idx/portmap ? but there is any documentation about this ? i don't found any doc about this :( 

just search for 'sataportmap', there will be lots of posts, here is one example grub 

set sata_args= 'SataPortMap=6' # sata controller, values: 6 - 1 controller on 6 ports; 22-2 controllers on 2 ports; 42-2 controllers, the first on 4 ports, the second on 2, etc.

in your case the sataportmap could be 426, 246 66 depending on how the onboard and add on controllers are 'seen' in bus order

but it look like the xpe/dsm will only 'see' 4 ports due to the multiplier no matter what you do :(

ok thanks all for answer.

i see that dell perc can be flashed with IT firmware and seems to work with Xpe i will give it a try because i've a perc 5i (sata2) and LSI 9260 8i MegaRAID

Edited by albebert

Hi all,

si no IT firmware for my LSI 9260, but with a standalone disk in raid0 synology see it ! the cons : no smart value report to DSM ... going to script MegaCli to check out this :)

thanks all for you reply !

41 minutes ago, albebert said:

si no IT firmware for my LSI 9260, but with a standalone disk in raid0 synology see it ! the cons : no smart value report to DSM ... going to script MegaCli to check out this

you will have panty of trouble when using raid0 volumes as single disks, you will not see serial numbers in dsm, smart will not work, and if a "raid0 disk" fails it might be hard to find out what real disk it is - plenty of things that can go wrong leaving you with a damaged raid you might never get repaired

just invest the sub 100 bugs for a "old" sas controller with it firmware or look into ahci multiport controllers (5 port JMB585 based looks nice but not tested yet)

i use MegaCli tool to find wich disk is wrong.

i plan to use SHR2 and split disk over multiple card.

and of course i do backups ^^

by past my nas was made with this card with disk in raid0 mod and mdadm (such as DSM do) with 3Tb disk i've multiple disk failure in 5 years and no data loss ... before i lost simultaneously 2 disk failures  (1 on motherboard and 1 on LSI)

but i will try some disk faillure before going to "production"

thanks for advices