XPEnology Community

xpenology + xbmc

aoprea

Hi.

I'm just some guy who has been reading the forum a bit while considering building a NAS, so anything I say should be taken with a grain of salt.

I too am interested in combining XPenology and XBMC on the same machine, but from everything I've read it seems like it will require you to run at least XPenology virtualized, which plenty of people do. It does come with its own set of limitations though, I've seen lower transfer speeds and/or some restrictions on drive power savings methods mentioned.

I don't have XBMC installed on my NAS, so take anything here with a barrel of salt. But I believe XBMC is cross-platform, so you should be able to download the source code and use the Synology Toolchain to compile XBMC and install it on your machine. I know that QNAP has a build of XBMC which can be installed through their package manager, but I doubt Synology will provide one since I think most of their hardware doesn't have video out.

• 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately for Synology did not anticipate user requirements for multimedia features ...

Qnap has took it before and went on Intel Celeron /I3 architecture and integrated HD Station with XBMC 13.2 included

in series x51, x53, x70

Sow ... many people may transfering to qts hardware/software ...

The price are the same on austor as50/51/70 series and qnap tsx51/x53/x70 series

But have more development and support center on qnap firmware

...like i said before ... synology has lost start with multimedia features on their nas because has stays on Atom CPUs

I'm pretty sure that none of the Synology products have video out capabilities. Doesn't make sense for them to include/support a package which is completely unusable on their hardware. If you are running Xpenology then you have more capabilities than Synology hardware, but you are sacrificing support, so you shouldn't expect stuff like this to just drop out of the sky. Like I said above, your best bet is to compile XBMC yourself using Synology's tool chain and integrate it into DMS manually... but that all seems like a lot of work for the same results as you installing Plex Media and using a SmartTV or Laptop or etc and streaming instead.

Also, QNAP & Synology have taken two completely different stances in the NAS market. QNAP has tried to market their servers as 'NAS-as-Computer' replacements including support for virtualization and stand-alone media management & playback. Synology has maintained a solid 'NAS' offering, so its main focus is just that, Network Attached Storage. It's funny that they are the two largest competitors in the NAS market while they occupy different areas. As a QNAP owner I can say that their hardware is fantastic, but Synology has the better software even though it lacks the fancy features. Xpenology has been able to give me the best of both worlds.

can asustor software be run on home made nas?

would be awesome if it did...so much more addons

yes wold be awesome if qts or adm firmware can be ported to custom hardware

but for now we have to wait until synology make the step to hdmi output throught xbmc

and then to xpenology to port that firmware

• 1 month later...

I questions to synology regarding hdmi output and xbmc on synology products

Hi

Are any plans for future products , to include XBMC (kodi) in DSM S.O. ?

Ofcourse these products must have a HDMI output to play media content directly to TV.

and response is:

Thank you very much for your email and interest in Synology. Regarding your feedback HDMI output & XBMC support, I'd like to let you know that I have already passed it to our product development team for further evaluation.

the solution I use is based on raspberry pi for xbmc with mounting shared folder on the pi

bdd is on the NAS and data also

you can use a tutorial like this one (there are many others existing)

http://quixventure.com/2011/12/configur ... -for-xbmc/

I have a similar system, a raspberry pi running openelec with cifs/nfs mounted shares from synology/xpenology diskstations. I am using the old RPi and they work perfectly for full HD so am sure the new ones would be even better (it's even powered by a diskstation). For under 30 quid for a media center you can't go wrong.

As for the actual topic question, only way I would assume it is possible is running xpenology and xbmc virtualised on the same machine. Bare metal I don't see as being possible.