XPEnology Community

List of Motherboard/CPU that are the best to build a NAS for Xpenology?

Krrkr

Question

Hi everybody.

I'm thinking about building my own PC especially for Xpenology. I was looking for a build guide but it seems there's none.  So, I need your experience & tips about that.

Can anybody post here which Motherboard and CPU you're using (and eventually with the DSM version) ? Please, add the number of SATA ports on the MB and if they're all seen by XPEn...

In the best, I'd like to find a MB which costs less than 100 bucks (brand new) and which have at less 6 SATA ports (+ M2 or Mini SATA, eventually)... and, of course, the best CPU to make the whole thing to work properly and fast enough. Let's say, 100 buck top for the CPU, too (brand new, too).

Side question: I'll like some tips about a PCIe to SATA cards that would work very nicely with XPEn ... eventually, I'll open another topic if necessary...(-:

thanks !!!!

P.S: yeah, I know about the guide here https://xpenology.org/

but I think we need a bigger list than just the four MB listed there (I copy the list here anyway)

ASRock Q1900DC-ITX

Gigabyte GA-C1037UN-EUCELERON1007U

IO SI-PEX40064(Marvell 88SE9215) – 4-Port Internal SATA3

ASUS H61M-A

Edited by Krrkr
add some info

6 answers to this question

Le 22/04/2020 à 23:38, flyride a dit :

Mhh... I don't really see a list or something here... The only topic in there that might be close to my question, is... closed. No more input possible for two years...

which doesn't help very much for anyone who want to build a setup in 2020....

14 hours ago, Krrkr said:

which doesn't help very much for anyone who want to build a setup in 2020....

you could also look in the section where people reporting about installed updates, there are details about the hardware in use

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/78-dsm-updates-reporting/

btw. your controller might be a limiting factor 9215 is only pcie 2.0 1x, ~500MB/s for 4 disks is not much

i'd suggest at least a marvell 9235 with pcie 2x (on a 2x/4x card) like SI-PEX40062

atm i'm favoring a JMB585 based card as it comes with pcie 3.0 and 2 lane, like SI-PEX40139

https://sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_181_85&product_id=1027

i did order a JMB585 based controller but have not received it yet

On 4/22/2020 at 10:04 PM, Krrkr said:

, I'd like to find a MB which costs less than 100 bucks (brand new) and which have at less 6 SATA ports (+ M2 or Mini SATA, eventually).

that alone limits you choices a lot

braswell, appololake and geminilake based cpus are reported to work with 6.2.3 and trancoding but i guess most will only have 2-4 sata ports

ASUS H61M-A would be no good choice as it only supports 2nd/3rd gen intel and 918+ needs at least a 4th gen intel

same goes for you Gigabyte GA-C1037UN-EUCELERON1007U, ivy bridge, 3rd gen cpu

you might also have a look of at the capabilitys of cpu's when it comes to trancoding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

В 26.04.2020 в 12:32, IG-88 сказал:

you could also look in the section where people reporting about installed updates, there are details about the hardware in use

https://xpenology.com/forum/forum/78-dsm-updates-reporting/

btw. your controller might be a limiting factor 9215 is only pcie 2.0 1x, ~500MB/s for 4 disks is not much

i'd suggest at least a marvell 9235 with pcie 2x (on a 2x/4x card) like SI-PEX40062

atm i'm favoring a JMB585 based card as it comes with pcie 3.0 and 2 lane, like SI-PEX40139

https://sybausa.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=64_181_85&product_id=1027

i did order a JMB585 based controller but have not received it yet

that alone limits you choices a lot

braswell, appololake and geminilake based cpus are reported to work with 6.2.3 and trancoding but i guess most will only have 2-4 sata ports

ASUS H61M-A would be no good choice as it only supports 2nd/3rd gen intel and 918+ needs at least a 4th gen intel

same goes for you Gigabyte GA-C1037UN-EUCELERON1007U, ivy bridge, 3rd gen cpu

you might also have a look of at the capabilitys of cpu's when it comes to trancoding

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_Quick_Sync_Video

Hi

Could you issue if this will work: 

1. GIGABYTE GA-J1900N-D3V (rev. 1.0)

+

2.  ADT-Link 8Gbps Mini PCI-e mPCIe To PCIe x8 PCI-E 8x Adapter Extension Cable to mini PCI-e

+

3. LSI00202+LSI00292+BBU08 Megaraid SAS 9260-8i+SSD 2.0 ssd key 512m RAID controller

Or what options are there to increase the number of SATA ports оn this motheboard?

Now I have Linkreal Mini PCIe to 4 Port SATA 3.0 6Gbps Adapter Expansion Card with Heatsink Mini Expansion Card with Marvell 88SE9215 but this board is very hot even with one HDD and works with forced cooling, connecting still disks is very scary.

7 hours ago, Alexss said:

the onboard is a (mini) pcie 1x slot, not sure if a pcie 8x card will even start under this conditions and if it does the max. possible throughput would be about 500MB/s

maybe a pcie 1x card with 2 or 4 ports, might be cheaper and ahci is less of a hassle as it does not need any special drivers

Now I have Linkreal Mini PCIe to 4 Port SATA 3.0 6Gbps Adapter Expansion Card with Heatsink Mini Expansion Card with Marvell 88SE9215 but this board is very hot even with one HDD and works with forced cooling, connecting still disks is very scary.

also you lsi controller would need to be flashed to IT firmware, thats not possible with all controllers, you would need to check if its possible for this controller

Or what options are there to increase the number of SATA ports оn this motheboard?

that marvell chip is a pcie 1x to 4x sata (ahci), exactly what i had in mind,if you have doubts about the small heat sink then use a mini pci to pcie 1x adapter and a normal pcie 1x card with the same chip 

if you have doubts about the heat, the lsi sas controller would produce much more heat then the small marvell chip

Edited by IG-88