XPEnology Community

BAcking UP

andyd358

Backups

How are most people backing up their data. Ivv got a HP nl40 running DSM 5.0 and I'm trying to get a stable rSync backup to work consistently. Its backing up to a WD 4tb Mycloud Nas drive. The initial backup worked but was slow but any subsequent backups fail almost straight away. Im using the backup and replication to a Network rsync compatible server and its logged in fine.

I was just wondering how other people are backing up the data. I know I could just buy a large USB drive and do it that way but thats far too easy :lol:

I was just wondering how other people are backing up the data. I know I could just buy a large USB drive and do it that way but thats far too easy :lol:

I've got two DSM VMs (ESXi), primary VM is RAID 1, secondary VM is a backup target, single disk. I'm using native DSM backup solution.

On my main system (esxi DSM vm), i have a 4 disk array, and i've changed the 5th disk to show as eSATA within DSM. Then I setup Backup & Replication to do a backup to that eSATA drive every 3 days.

The only problem I have is when I power cycle my system I have to pull my eSATA drive before DSM boots up, or the drives might enumerate in a different order and the wrong drive will end up being the 5th (eSATA), and mess up my array. I had some weird issue once with my array, and have since been pulling my eSATA drive before booting up to prevent it from happening... but I haven't tested it thoroughly to see if this is a real issue or not heh. I'm building a new system and will be doing some tests on it, so I guess I'll play around more once it's complete. I've also accidentally forgot to pull it and it booted up fine (maybe I got lucky).

If you want to do this you need to edit /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf

stock setttings look like this:

DS-Test> cat /etc.defaults/synoinfo.conf |grep portcfg
esataportcfg="0xff000"
usbportcfg="0xf00000"
internalportcfg="0xfff"

To change it so the 5th drive becomes eSATA, I do this:

cat synoinfo.conf>synoinfo.conf.bak | sed -i -e 's/internalportcfg="0xfff"/internalportcfg="0xfef"/' -e 's/esataportcfg="0xff000"/esataportcfg="0xff010"/' synoinfo.conf

To understand the config settings convert the hex to binary. For example. default internal config is FFF, which is 111111111111 (12 drives). So if you wanted to remove the 5th drive from the internal drive pool you'd need 111111101111 (0 at 5th slot), which is FEF. Then to assign the 5th slot as an esata you need to change FF000 to FF010.