XPEnology Community

I'm a noob again.

trasixes

5 years ago I caught this mini computer on sale for $29.99, and bought it because I figured it would be fun to tinker with. Documentation was almost non-existent, and it wasn't even listed on the manufacturers website. I loaded it up with Windows 10, but the performance was terrible, so I went to Windows 7, but again - terrible. I didn't want or need another windows box anyway, so I searched the web and found XPE!

I modded the case to fit 2x 3.5" drives, bought a couple of used (cheap) hard drives, and XPE installed without issue. I did upgrade the DSM at some point to 6.1.2, but I haven't touched it since. It has been running for about 5 years, 24/7, and it has been flawless. Not bad for less than 100 USD. It has served (mostly) as media box, and Sickchill/Couch Potato box, but it is now on it's last leg. I have parts coming for a new more powerful build, and I will figure it all out. I know I will have to reconfigure everything, and install packages again.

However, I am concerned about the transition from 6.1.2 to 6.2.x.  Will the data be lost? Is there anything specific I need to know to make the transition smooth/easy and preserve my data?

18 hours ago, trasixes said:

he DSM at some point to 6.1.2, but I haven't touched it since. It has been running for about 5 years,

6.1.2 dates back ~3 year so you kind of soften the blow to your self be thinking its already 5 years ago, no its just 3 years ;-)

18 hours ago, trasixes said:

However, I am concerned about the transition from 6.1.2 to 6.2.x.  Will the data be lost? Is there anything specific I need to know to make the transition smooth/easy and preserve my data?

worst case is to loose config and having to reinstall the plugins, the update does not touch your data partition, even if your system does not boot anymore the data are still there and you could boot up a live linux or open media vault from a additional disk/usb to access your data

but in most cases it works as update - as always its suggested to have a backup when having important stuff stored like family photos of the last 20 years, at least save th most important data to a usb device

i assume you use 3615 now and with a new hardware and wanting to use hardware trancoding you would have to "migrate" to a different version, 918+ that will keep you settings and some plugins or you will have to reinstall the plugins

the latest 6.2.3 took out some of the problems lately as 6.2.2 needed new drivers and 6.2.3 reverted that change so you can stilll use the drivers on jun's 1.03b/1.04b loader (only when using hardware transcoding is important it needs some tweaking for 6.2.3 but there is a new driver package takein care of it)

the 6.2 loaders for 3615/17 do not run with uefi, it needs bios aka legacy or csm mode

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

you might read the faq again as a refresh and maybe int the tutorail section the one about installing your dsm version (bare metal?, there are different ones for baremetal, esxi and kvm)

Just now, IG-88 said:

6.1.2 dates back ~3 year so you kind of soften the blow to your self be thinking its already 5 years ago, no its just 3 years ;-)

6.1.2 was an interim update I applied a few years after my initial install. I started with 5.x (can't remember which exactly).

Just now, IG-88 said:

worst case is to loose config and having to reinstall the plugins, the update does not touch your data partition, even if your system does not boot anymore the data are still there and you could boot up a live linux or open media vault from a additional disk/usb to access your data

but in most cases it works as update - as always its suggested to have a backup when having important stuff stored like family photos of the last 20 years, at least save th most important data to a usb device

i assume you use 3615 now and with a new hardware and wanting to use hardware trancoding you would have to "migrate" to a different version, 918+ that will keep you settings and some plugins or you will have to reinstall the plugins

the latest 6.2.3 took out some of the problems lately as 6.2.2 needed new drivers and 6.2.3 reverted that change so you can stilll use the drivers on jun's 1.03b/1.04b loader (only when using hardware transcoding is important it needs some tweaking for 6.2.3 but there is a new driver package takein care of it)

the 6.2 loaders for 3615/17 do not run with uefi, it needs bios aka legacy or csm mode

https://xpenology.com/forum/topic/13333-tutorialreference-6x-loaders-and-platforms/

you might read the faq again as a refresh and maybe int the tutorail section the one about installing your dsm version (bare metal?, there are different ones for baremetal, esxi and kvm)

That sounds great, I really appreciate the information - and yes, I will be reading (more than once) the FAQ. Thank you!!